Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for info on pantheistic trends in the Jewish, Buddhist, and Taoist religions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on pantheistic trends in the Jewish, Buddhist, and Taoist religions

I am changing the thesis to my paper. It will now be something like: "Spiritual experiences lead most mystics to be pantheistic."

I will use examples of the Sufis, who believe that all things are God adorned in a garmet, Angelus Silesius, a 17th century Christian mystic who denied the personal God of his religion, and the Hindus, who believe that all things are different manifestations of Brahman. That leaves the Jewish, Buddhist, and Taoist religions. I need examples of pantheistic beliefs in the mystics of these religions. Can anyone help?
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Check the early history of the hebrew, they were not the monotheists until later after the 2 views battled it out and the monos won.

Comment

Buddhism is definitely pantheistic. Taoism I'm not quite sure what they believe in.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Pick a different thesis.

Comment

Classical or natural? You'd likely find classical trends in Judaism+Kabbalah (esp. pre-Hezekiah) and Hinduism. Wikipedia says monoism too, but I disagree, since Monoism itself would preclude pantheism.
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Buddhism is definitely pantheistic. Taoism I'm not quite sure what they believe in.
            Well then I need some Buddhist writings to support that. Do you know where I could find some?

Pick a different thesis.
            No, this one will work.

Classical or natural? You'd likely find classical trends in Judaism+Kabbalah (esp. pre-Hezekiah) and Hinduism. Wikipedia says monoism too, but I disagree, since Monoism itself would preclude pantheism.
            Anything. What I would prefer is to have some Kabbalistic writings that sound pantheistic or at least acknowledge divinity in the world around them, in everyday things.

I also would like to find some more writings from Christian mystics that are similar, because I only have one author for that.
            "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Taoism is essentially atheistic. But the god that they don't have is in everything.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Why can't I be God? Why does God get to be God and not me? Is that fair?
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                  Taoism is essentially atheistic. But the god that they don't have is in everything.
                  I was waiting for someone else to respond first.

No, within the Tao te Ching there are plenty of references to God. It's just that with Taoism the emphasis isn't on any god(s), but on the natural order of things and our place in it. There is a god, Taoists acknowledge, but we are a part of Creation and must strive towards balancing ourselves with it. Taoism is much more philosophy than religion, though the I Ching introduces a much more religious tone to it.

I'm a bit biased as I feel only Lao Tzu's teachings are relevant* and as such it is not religon but philosophy; matters of God are left to the individual. My research on the subject a few years back for a World Religons class indicated that Taoism took on more religious aspects when Buddhism began encroaching on ancient China; it was a response to that encroachment of values, the leaders wanted to shore-up Chinese culture against alien ones.

*I realize that Lao Tzu may very well have been nothing more than legend; that the Tao te Ching may just be a collection of idioms, anecdotes, and jewels of wisdom gathered over millenia of Chinese culture. Most modern translations are derived from a version written in the 5th or 6th Century CE; Lao Tzu was to have lived in in 6th or 5th Century BCE.
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                    Buddhism is definitely pantheistic.
                    They don't really believe in gods.

Originally posted by Smiley
                    Taoism I'm not quite sure what they believe in.
                    A bunch of gods.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                      No, within the Tao te Ching there are plenty of references to God.
                      Hmm... not really. There are certain references to a Creator, but that is not meant to be an anthropic God.

Taoism is much more philosophy than religion, though the I Ching introduces a much more religious tone to it.
                      Um, I Ching supposedly predates Lao Tzu. At any rate, it doesn't have anything to do with Taoism, except when accidentally.

My research on the subject a few years back for a World Religons class indicated that Taoism took on more religious aspects when Buddhism began encroaching on ancient China
                      There are two separate and distinct Daoism - one is the philosophical school stemmed from Lao Tzu and his followers. The other one is a religious sect that is a bastardisation of the philosophy.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

one example does not most make

you would need some sort of statistical sample...

already I can say that your paper is ****

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

JM: Bull. It depends on whether he wants to identify trends in scripture, society, theological interpretations and changes in history thereof, as well as classical or naturalistic pantheism. But it sounds like a fascinating thesis, I think he should go for it.
                          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

i cant answer your Q, but for scholarly info on Jewish mysticism read the works of Gershom Scholem.

For a less scholarly expolartion of the relation of Judaism to Buddism, read "The Jew in the Lotus" by Roger Kamenetz.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              Hmm... not really. There are certain references to a Creator, but that is not meant to be an anthropic God.
                              Meh, it depends on whose translation you read.

Um, I Ching supposedly predates Lao Tzu. At any rate, it doesn't have anything to do with Taoism, except when accidentally.
                              Try telling that to religious Taoists and people otherwise unfamiliar with the subject...

There are two separate and distinct Daoism - one is the philosophical school stemmed from Lao Tzu and his followers. The other one is a religious sect that is a bastardisation of the philosophy.
                              ...Yes, I know. I think I've said that in some previous thread. Dao Jiao is one spelling I've seen. That's the one I feel is rubbish.
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                              X