ATI vs Nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI vs Nvidia

Since I installed my Radeon 9550, my PC crashes all the time. I know what causes the crashes: infinite loop or VPU errors. I can't seem to solve the problem. Since I don't have the time to deal with that crap, I decided to uninstall the Radeon and sell it. When I say this, people answer "the moral : don't buy ATI, get Nvidia instead". But my problem isn't specific to ATI cards. Some people on 'poly claim that ATI owners have more problems with their videocards than Nvidia owners. Is that a fact?
    ATI
    28.57%
    Nvidia
    39.29%
    More cowbell!
    32.14%
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Well, I've had a myriad of problems with the Radeon in my laptop, but the GeForce 3 I have now doesn't support dual screens, so I give them both a .

Comment

Nvidia is better, no matter what .
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well, I have an X800 and it runs flawlessly. I've never had an issue.

I've had 3 Nvidia cards before that. A TNT2 that was awesome and worked wonderfully, and GF4 4200 that was pretty good until the card burnt out, and a GFx 5200 that was a total POS and burnt out within a month. The last 2 cards were both manufactured by PNY and I highly recommend you stay far far far away from them, they suck.

Currently, at least from what I've read, Nvidia is a little better with the very high end cards (X800 vs. 6800); however, last generation the Nvidia Gforce FX series just plain sucked while the ATI 9000 series ruled (the 9800 cards are still very very good).

So basically I have no idea which one is better . I like the ATI X800 Pro I have now though
        "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

I've been using an Nvidia GFx 5200 for the last year or so with no problems (aside from installing the drivers, and that was a wetware issue )
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I heard of new games such as KOTOR 2 having problem with ATI cards. But my Radeon 9600 XT had no problems.

what can I say. It works for some, not for other.

Nvidia is the safer choice, but they cost more.

Comment

I had an ATI card in my PC a few years ago. The thing was crap. Since then, I've had a Voodoo something, then I switched to nVidia and got a Ti 4200. The thing was great. Now I have a Geforce FX 5900, and it's awesome. Since my bad experience with ATI, I'll never buy another one of their crap cards.

nVidia
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I've got a modded 9800SE (effectively a 9800 pro) but if the next time I'm looking for a card NVidia have the best deal then I'll buy one, it pays to be a slut where PC hardware is concerned.

Comment

That it does. I have yoyoed between AMD and Intel chips for the past decade...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I have had a Radeon 9800pro running on my computer for over a year now and has run great. I have gotten the vpu error, every now and then, but errors do happen. I would not have traded my Radeon card for the equivelant Nvidia card.

Comment

Having had cards from both, the ATI card (9800 Pro) was the more reliable one.

Comment

A year ago I bought an ATI 9600 Pro (or was it 9800?) and it didn't give me anything but trouble. Several of my games I played at that time froze while it only gave a slight higher frame-rate in one of my games
                        After a few weeks (and lots of trouble) I sent it in and got it replaced with a Geforce someletters 5900 or something like that, and it works great
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Personally, I support nVidia over ATi. Two reasons:

1. I bought an ATi card a long time ago, a 8500LE, which was comparable to a GeForce 3. Unfortunately, at the time, ATi's drivers were abysmal, and it fubared a clean install of Windows. nVidia's drivers have never given me any trouble... nVidia wins, even if ATi's windows drivers these days aren't bad.

2. ATi's Linux driver support is ****ty. nVidia's is not. nVidia actually keeps their linux drivers up to date. Therefore, I will reward their support by continuing to give them my money, even if I don't use linux all the time.
                          B♭3

Comment

I've never had any problems with my ATI X850 XT PE.

Comment

I have gotten the vpu error, every now and then, but errors do happen.
                              Ï wouldn't mind that much if it happened once in while. But it happens everytime I play a game. And it crashes all the time while I surf the web with Firefox.
                              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                              X