Recommend me maths software for Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me maths software for Linux

To all the other Linux users out here, I need some advice on a maths program for Linux. Can be command-line or with a GUI. Preferrably few dependencies - or I'll end up having trouble installing, possibly. Does not have to be uber-advanced like Maple. What I need it to do is to be able to find derivative functions (not sure what is it in English, I mean where for f(x)=x^2, f'(x)=2x), to solve trig equations, and preferrably to be able to plot graphs for different exponental functions and modular functions.

Any specific suggestions or a place to start, perhaps? Except Google, I can do that myself, but need advice from someone who's actually done it .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Mathematica and Windows.

Comment

Well, first you can start saying math and not "maths" like a normal person.

Comment

Windows

Well, first you can start saying math and not "maths" like a normal person.

If "mathematics" is plural, how can math be singular ?

Comment

Math isn't plural or singular. It's like "water".

Comment

Alright, Google returns many more hits for "math". However, "maths" is the British version, so I probably better stick with it .

Comment

British

Comment

The language is called English because of England, and it's not called Americanish, Statish or Usish . Besides, I believe that my English uses more American English things than British English things, so saying "maths" will only benefit my English .

Comment

Bah. Everyone knows North American English varieties are much older than standard BBC English.

We're the OGs of the English language.

Comment

$ ls /usr/portage/sci-mathematics/
                    Macaulay2 fann kalamaris mathomatic otter yacas
                    axiom geomview koctave maxima pari
                    calc gimps ksimus mupad pariguide
                    coq ginac ksimus-boolean num-utils scilab
                    drgeo glpk ksimus-datarecorder octave singular
                    euler gturing ksimus-floatingpoint octave-forge snns

I don't know for sure which ones of these are the stuff you're looking for, but you'll probably want to try out Octave and Maxima first.
                    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Thanks. I installed Maxima along with a GUI and the ability to run it in Emacs, and it does everything that I need and also much more.

Comment

You use emacs Solver?
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          Mathematica and Windows.
                          Mathematica runs under linux - my university has am agreement that lets me run it at home for basically the cost of the CD copy.
                          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            You use emacs Solver?
                            XEmacs to be precise. It's one of those things I only begin appreciate after some time, at first, I couldn't understand the point of emacs or any other such editor when there are simple alternatives to Notepad under KDE and also alternatives to Word. But now I see how Emacs can also be very useful.

Comment

emacs... yes it is very powerful, though I don't seem to get up the drive to learn all those control codes.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X