Report/Overview of Bush euro visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report/Overview of Bush euro visit

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

from that article:

"For Mr Bush, this visit was about getting over the divisions of the past and projecting his vision of the future - "planting the flag of freedom" around the world, as he puts it.

But the empty streets in the German city of Mainz, which cheered Mr Bush's father as president in 1989, spoke volumes about how this American leader is perceived in parts of old Europe.

He did better in Bratislava, capital of Slovakia. His speech there, sprinkled with his usual references to freedom and liberty - 24 of one and seven of the other - did win applause from the crowd.

This was new Europe after all."

well i suppose empty 'welcoming' streets for such an historic visit is slightly more preferable to streets full of potential assassins?

Its going to be interesting when this man eventually accepts that the US cannot function without real allies?
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

I guess you're right. The Brits don't count for much these days.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
      I guess you're right. The Brits don't count for much these days.
      Unlike mighty Canada, defender of the free world.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Report/Overview of Bush euro visit

Originally posted by child of Thor
        But the empty streets in the German city of Mainz, which cheered Mr Bush's father as president in 1989, spoke volumes about how this American leader is perceived in parts of old Europe.
        They were empty only on Bushs traveling route, due to massive security measures. A few blocks apart they looked like this:
        Attached Files

Comment

Re: Re: Report/Overview of Bush euro visit

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

They were empty only on Bushs traveling route, due to massive security measures. A few blocks apart they looked like this:

'Bush sees Potemkin village' .

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Here is a picture of a notice on a dentists practice, which could not be reached because of the Bush visit and the security insanity attached to it, and was therefor closed. It translates to "We regret to inform you, that our practice is closed Wednesday February 23rd due to the USELESS Bush visit!!!". The Bush visit cost the local economy basically a whole day's income. Not worth it, in my opinion.
            Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, the leader of the free world should just take the bus like everybody else, and leave the self righteous dentists alone!

Comment

Perhaps he should have visited Denmark instead of Germany. There he seems to have at least one friend.

Comment

Here is a picture of a notice on a dentists practice, which could not be reached because of the Bush visit and the security insanity attached to it, and was therefor closed. It translates to "We regret to inform you, that our practice is closed Wednesday February 23rd due to the USELESS Bush visit!!!". The Bush visit cost the local economy basically a whole day's income. Not worth it, in my opinion.
                  American security were worried it wasn't safe.

Beware the White Angel.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I bet that dentist would loved to have Shrubya on his chair. But wait... in Germany torture is outlawed.

Comment

I bet that dentist would loved to have Shrubya on his chair. But wait... in Germany torture is outlawed.
                      It's not his teeth cavities that need looking at, it's the big cavity between his ears .

Comment

He'd need a lot of amalgam to fill that
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Its funny how one single guy can ruin a (potentialy)good countries reputation.....I'm sure if he visited here he would have those same crowds he avoided in germany

The Metro(the free london newspaper) had an amusing front page picture of Bush on his visit to Bratislava(the capitol of Slovakia for the mid-west inward looking types ).

The picture framed a waving president bush with the words "BRAT" behind him from the billboard, the "ISLAVIA" part cut out from the shot
                          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

@ not-funny-at-the-millionth-time jokes.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

well i suppose outside of texas he is atleast good for one thing. Hateing

Even if the US does slip to number2 in the world(civ) rankings, Dubya will continue to be hated number1 all over the world

Comment

Working...
                              X