Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: how do you organize your MP3s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: how do you organize your MP3s?

After years of slow downloading, my MP3 count have finally exceed 2000. So I need some better way of organizing MP3s that can encode more information than a bloody file tree. I guess could just change the file names and ID3 tag and use search functions in more modern media players but I really don't want to change anything about my files.

So, how do you organize your mp3s?

*or should I leave everything to entropy*

I put them all in my 'Shared' folder and then View/sort by/name.

Quick 'n' simple

Comment

Whole albums are sorted by directories: \Artists\Album\

I browse them in the Media Library in Winamp, or my Nomad.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Voila.
        Attached Files
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Each band gets its own directory, pretty straight forward especially since I don't like most bands enough to keep entire albums.
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

genre/artist/album
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

itunes
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Haha, Asher is using the same Winamp skin as me. Good taste

Anyways, since I only get full albums on my comp nowadays, they're organized like so:

Artist/
                ---Year - Album/
                ------Artist - ## - Title.mp3

The album cover resides in the album's folder and is named folder.jpg

I accomplish all of this with Tag&Rename, which lets me look up the album info on Amazon and then rename the files and folder properly with 2 button clicks.

I also use Guidua to generate pretty lists of all my music that looks like so:

Code:
                    BT                                                       |       |        |        |      |        
                        1996 - Ima                                           |       |        |        |      |        
                            Disc 1                                           |     9 |  101Mb |  67:00 |  MP3 | -aps   
                            Disc 2                                           |     4 |  108Mb |  71:40 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        1999 - Movement in Still Life [UK Limited]           |       |        |        |      |        
                            Disc 1                                           |    11 |  111Mb |  73:57 |  MP3 | -aps   
                            Disc 2                                           |     7 | 83.7Mb |  58:03 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        2000 - Movement in Still Life                        |    11 | 84.7Mb |  56:38 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        2000 - Never Gonna Come Back Down                    |     5 | 60.1Mb |  39:51 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        2001 - R&R                                           |       |        |        |      |        
                            Disc 1                                           |    11 |  124Mb |  73:56 |  MP3 | -aps   
                            Disc 2                                           |    11 |  113Mb |  70:07 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        2003 - Emotional Technology                          |    13 |  120Mb |  78:21 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        2004 - The Technology EP                             |     6 | 69.0Mb |  42:53 |  MP3 | -aps   
                    Five Iron Frenzy                                         |       |        |        |      |        
                        1996 - Upbeats & Beatdowns                           |    15 | 68.8Mb |  47:27 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        1997 - Our Newest Album Ever!                        |    13 | 69.2Mb |  50:57 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        1998 - Quantity Is Job 1 [EP]                        |    17 | 55.8Mb |  40:41 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        1999 - Proof That the Youth Are Revolting            |    18 |  100Mb |  71:49 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        2000 - All the Hype That Money Can Buy               |    15 | 69.7Mb |  45:17 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        2001 - Five Iron Frenzy 2 - Electric Boogaloo        |    12 | 59.8Mb |  39:28 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        2003 - Cheeses                                       |    34 | 77.3Mb |  56:16 |  MP3 | 192 C  
                        2003 - The End is Near                               |    14 |  117Mb |  79:21 |  MP3 | -aps   
                        2004 - The End is Here                               |    19 |  118Mb |  78:51 |  MP3 | -aps
                Hooray for being obsessive about mp3 organization

Comment

I do the each artist/band gets a directory thing.

Somewhat OT, but somewhat related... is there any way to make Winamp play in surround? I play a particular file in WMP and get it through all 6 speakers, but play the same file in Winamp and only get it through the sub and two front speakers. Aside from thaqt, I like everything about Winamp much better than any other player I've tried, so any help would be much appreciated.
                  Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Directories for each artist, and file names are the song title. I don't bother with album structure, and let Winamp take care of that.
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

[Genre] \ [DVD it is backed up on] \ [Last Name, First Name - Year of Release - Album Title] \ [Song]

E.g. Jazz \ DVD A \ Griffin, Johnny - 1959 - The Little Giant \ Johnny Griffin - The Little Giant - 01 - Olive Refractions

Comment

[Continent] \ [Genre] \ [Song] generally. If it's albums they go in separate directories as well.

E.g. North America\Freestyle\Shannon - Let the Music Play.mp3
                        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                          genre/artist/album
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

oooh thats some groovy skin that asher has....*wonders whats its name*

hmmm, one of the problems I have is that I have alot of anime songs that I'd like to sort by artist as well as by what series it is. (since I tend to remember songs by relation to anime as opposed to its actual name)

Currently my organization is /genre/artist or /genre/anime series/

Comment

currently it's

[artist] / [album]

but it will soon be

[dvdbackup id] / [artist] / [album]
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                              X