No announcement yet.

Canadian Budget 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's a pretty solid buget, all things considered. There's no way they could possibly please everyone, but I think it hits on the major points.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by optimus2861
      About the only thing in the budget I find praise-worthy is the military funding increase, and even that has to be regarded as just a beginning. We've got a long way to go to put our armed forces back in order, and a lot of the blame for their sorry condition lies squarely at the Liberals' feet for starving them of funding over the past decade.
      Just curious but what would YOUR "dream budget " look like. This one looks middle of the road with a sprikle of everything. Where would you focus??

Oh and I remember that Mulroney election-- wow the country had a hate-on for him-- The funny thing is that the things he was so hated for-- NAFTA and the GST stand out -- are still in place even after a decade of Liberal rule.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I thought the big thing people hated Mulroney for was the out of control deficits.

That's why I don't have any major complaints about the Liberals. I don't like the sleaze, but at least they are doing it within budget.
        Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
          I thought the big thing people hated Mulroney for was the out of control deficits.

That's why I don't have any major complaints about the Liberals. I don't like the sleaze, but at least they are doing it within budget.
          True-- The PCS would say a balanced budget and then when the dust settled it would be a 10 billion deficet. If they budgeted 20 billion in the red, it was 30.

Now its the opposite. heck they project a suplus even with a contingency fund in place and then exceed expectations.

My question is whther that has much to do with the Liberals or has more to do with changing world circumstances that have led to major growth for Canadian industries EDIT-- obviously the better forecasts are government but do you think they are the cause of the surpluses ( would not much of say the energy development have occurred e regardless of the government ( with the possible exception of the NDP who might shut it down))
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I didn't say it was a bad budget, just that I didn't find anything really praise-worthy aside from the military funding. Mostly I'm just indifferent to it.

Spending cuts to federal bureaucracies and crap like the gun registry would be my first order of business. Liberals will never kill that boondoggle, though, since Toronto seems to like it or something.
            "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

My question is whther that has much to do with the Liberals or has more to do with changing world circumstances that have led to major growth for Canadian industries EDIT-- obviously the better forecasts are government but do you think they are the cause of the surpluses ( would not much of say the energy development have occurred e regardless of the government ( with the possible exception of the NDP who might shut it down))
              I would say the balancing/surpluses are due to the Liberals and not changing world situations because most(if not all) G8 type countries have much worse deficit situation than we have.

Even looking at the platforms from the last election I believe all the other parties were looking to spend WAY more and unbalance the budget.
              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
                Bah -- the Liberals before him were running ever-increasing deficits themselves. Nobody seems to remember that Trudeau never balanced the books.

It was the constitution that finished him. If he'd let it go after Meech Lake he might've fared better, but Charlottetown just became an opportunity for all of Canada to tell him to get bent in that referendum.

Although, we're still left with a constitution that Quebec hasn't signed, and the Liberals don't seem to care about that detail.
                "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

About the only thing in the budget I find praise-worthy is the military funding increase, and even that has to be regarded as just a beginning. We've got a long way to go to put our armed forces back in order, and a lot of the blame for their sorry condition lies squarely at the Liberals' feet for starving them of funding over the past decade.
                  And that is a problem because we're under imminent threat of takeover by a hostile nation?

I prefer to be a nation that is respected for it's values and conduct, rather than because it carries a big stick.

Comment

Originally posted by dejon

And that is a problem because we're under imminent threat of takeover by a hostile nation?

I prefer to be a nation that is respected for it's values and conduct, rather than because it carries a big stick.

To me its a simple question of adequately training and equipping your military if you plan to have a military. I do see some value in having a skilled if small military force.

Invasion is not likely but no navy for instance would mean that foreign fishing boats could rape our waters even more than they do now.

Comment

Spending cuts to federal bureaucracies and crap like the gun registry would be my first order of business. Liberals will never kill that boondoggle, though, since Toronto seems to like it or something.

It's not really worth killing. The billion that was spent was all up front. The actual maintenance cost is low, and killing it would make the billion dollar investment a write-off.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Downloading and cuts to provinces combined with the continued misappropriation from the EI fund.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I was surprised at this budget. I expected it to be far more lef-wing to cater to the NDP and Bloc, but it was surprisingly centrist... even right wing (ish) at times.

Martin is a great example of talk one thing, do another.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo

It's not really worth killing. The billion that was spent was all up front. The actual maintenance cost is low, and killing it would make the billion dollar investment a write-off.

In addition, killing it highlights the issue once again. While it still smolders, I can't see the Liberals wanting to bring any attention back on the gun registry.

Comment

To me its a simple question of adequately training and equipping your military if you plan to have a military. I do see some value in having a skilled if small military force.

Invasion is not likely but no navy for instance would mean that foreign fishing boats could rape our waters even more than they do now.
                              I think beyond that part of being a peaceful and well respected nation is having the capability to initiate and maintain peacekeeping operations. We should have both a larger and better equipped armed forces to do this. For example, I'd love to see Canada take the reigns on the whole Darfur crisis and be able to drop 1000-2000 troops over there and be able to sustain them for a while, obviously in conjunction with other countries. And if we're going to send our troops into a potentially dangerous situation, I'd like to see them have top-notch equipment, like good trucks, APCs, transport planes and communication equipment.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

I think beyond that part of being a peaceful and well respected nation is having the capability to initiate and maintain peacekeeping operations. We should have both a larger and better equipped armed forces to do this. For example, I'd love to see Canada take the reigns on the whole Darfur crisis and be able to drop 1000-2000 troops over there and be able to sustain them for a while, obviously in conjunction with other countries. And if we're going to send our troops into a potentially dangerous situation, I'd like to see them have top-notch equipment, like good trucks, APCs, transport planes and communication equipment.

Comment

Working...
                                X