• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Budget 2005

I was suprised to not see anything on this

Goodale budget delivers billions in new spending and tax cuts
    Last Updated Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:06:28 EST
    CBC News
    OTTAWA - Finance Minister Ralph Goodale delivered a broad-ranging and balanced budget Wednesday, including almost $13 billion for the military, $5 billion for a national child-care program and another $5 billion for the country's cities.

Ralph Goodale and Paul Martin make their way to present the federal budget.

INDEPTH: Budget 2005

The budget also accounts for billions of dollars promised to the provinces and territories in two agreements signed in the fall: the $41.3-billion health care deal, and the $33.4-billion agreement on equalization payments.

With all the money going to those two programs this year and next, the government is still predicting surpluses for those years, but it says those surpluses will be modest.

And given an ambitious social agenda, Goodale has turned to a five-year framework, something Paul Martin avoided when he was finance minister, because there is so much uncertainty in forecasting so far ahead, said TD Bank economist Don Drummond.

RELATED STORY: Harper pleased by budget, won't bring down government
    While the five-year approach provides an amount of certainty to Canadians, Drummond said it "ups the risk quotient" politically if the government isn't able to deliver.

Political scientist Antonia Maioni sees the budget as moving ahead on Liberal promises – the budget is sub-titled "Delivering on Commitments" – and reaches out to the constituencies of the opposition parties.

"It's not an arrogant budget. It's a minority government budget," she said.

Goodale threw out a few surprises aimed at taking the wind out of opposition criticisms.

Chief among them, a number of tax measures for both personal and corporate income.

Businesses in Canada received notice that their taxes would be cut, although not for another three years. The finance minister pledged to reduce the general corporate tax rate from the current 21 per cent to 20.5 per cent in 2008, 20 per cent in 2009 and 19 per cent by 2010.

Goodale's plan also calls for the basic personal exemption on income to rise to $10,000 by 2009. The deduction level for 2004 is $8,012.

Ralph Goodale presents the federal budget.
    "When fully implemented, this measure will remove from the tax rolls more than 860,000 of Canada's lowest-income taxpayers," Goodale said in his budget address.

Goodale also delivered on a promise to bolster Canada's military with 5,000 regular troops and 3,000 reservists. In all, the budget outlines $12.8 billion for the military over five years, including $2.76 billion for equipment such as helicopters, trucks and utility aircraft.

And a week after the Kyoto Protocol came into effect, Goodale promised $5 billion over five years, $3 billion of which is new, and $1 billion is directed at projects to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

YOUR SPACE: Send us your thoughts
    The Liberals present the 2005 budget as a balanced one, but built into it is something they call an underlying surplus – made up of a $3-billion contingency fund and $1 billion for "economic prudence."

If the $3 billion contingency reserve remains unspent, it automatically goes toward paying down the national debt, which stands at just over $501 billion.

TYPICAL TAX SAVINGS 2006 2007 2008 2009
    Single income earner $16 $32 $96 $192*
    Family: One income earner, one dependent spouse $29.60 $59.20 $177.60 $355.20*
    Family: Two income earners $32 $64 $192 $384*
    *at least

You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

I'll save $16 next year in taxes?

Praise the lord...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No offense but OMG what a BORING subject, and the irony is that Flubber can't believe no one has made this thread yet. I'm sorry Flubber, you lose by... death.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

My feeling is that the Liberals did what they felt thay needed to do in taking most of the more palatable and popular parts of the Conservative agenda. With the Conservatives saying they will not topple the government and nobody screaming too loud, the budget probably achieved its goals.

My fear though in a minority situation is that the constant need not to do the unpopular may mean that hard decisions don't get made
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

What's Canadian government spending as a percentage of the economy anyway?
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
            No offense but OMG what a BORING subject, and the irony is that Flubber can't believe no one has made this thread yet. I'm sorry Flubber, you lose by... death.
            Probably true but my suprise wasn't because the Canadian budget is so interesting-- its because Canadian political threads get heated with lots of replies. I thought someone would say something, even if it was only a comment about the fact that the government will survive it seems ( minority governments have not had a great history of longevity)

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Praise the lord...
              While I agree that a 16 dollar saving is a "so what", it was better than the tax INCREASES I experienced not so many years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Praise the lord...
                You could save more, though, since they're upping the RRSP contribution limit. And thankfully they're also doing away with the rediculous foreign content restrictions in RRSPs.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

You could save more, though, since they're upping the RRSP contribution limit. And thankfully they're also doing away with the rediculous foreign content restrictions in RRSPs.

Ya I saw that

It was always a pain having to "rebalance my portfolio" because my foreign stuff did better than my Canadian stuff

Comment

Summary:
                    - Conservatives content
                    - NDP pissed
                    - Ontario Liberals pissed
                    - Bloc pissed

Synopsis:
                    A Liberal-Conservative coalition of DOOM that will kill us all.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

So there's nothing specifically earmarked for debt reduction that they can't lay their grubby little hands on later? Just this contingency fund thing?

BTW, I still find it hard to beleive that the government which included Alphonse Galliano, the MOBSTER, is still going to get in again on the 'evil you know' theory...

Is there anyone out there who has voted Liberal who is proud of it/didn't feel sick while doing it?
                      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                        Summary:
                        - Conservatives content
                        - NDP pissed
                        - Bloc pissed

Synopsis:
                        Makes sense though, doesn't it? This will likely return Liberal voters who went Conservative last time. The "pissed" parties aren't really as much a concern, I think.

Comment

I haven't voted Liberal since 1993 (when I was 18 and stupid, swept up in the anti-Mulroney sentiment that was all the rage), so don't ask me .

About the only thing in the budget I find praise-worthy is the military funding increase, and even that has to be regarded as just a beginning. We've got a long way to go to put our armed forces back in order, and a lot of the blame for their sorry condition lies squarely at the Liberals' feet for starving them of funding over the past decade.
                          "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Well, I guess I'm well on my way to spending my tax cut - stopped at Timmies and bought a coffee on the way to work today.

Originally posted by Seeker
                            Is there anyone out there who has voted Liberal who is proud of it/didn't feel sick while doing it?
                            I stopped wondering what my fellow Canadians were thinking when they continue to vote for bad government. I concluded they weren't thinking.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                              Summary:
                              - Conservatives content
                              - NDP pissed
                              - Bloc pissed

Synopsis:
                              I don't know about "doom"-- The Libs just seem to be going middle of the road with "lets not offend anyone with the budget attitude"-- If policies leaning toward the right wing of the Liberal party are your idea of doom -- well so be it .

There's a lot in this budget I like ( this admitted very grudgingly). I would have liked to see a more solid commitment to debt reduction but the reality there is that growth and balanced budgets would reduce the debt as a proportion of GDP anyway.

I like the additional military spending. I hate the use of force but if Canada is going to have a military we need to spend enough to equip and train them properly.

I love tax cuts-- wish they were bigger but understand the prudence of staged cuts

Interesting that both the Conservatives and NDP singled out student assistance as needing more money-- This could be a likely area for an amendment.

Comment

Working...
                              X