What is it about the Welsh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alva

And suddenly I understand why that guy in the pic has no teeth, it's so he can pronounce these words!!!
    Says the chap from the Land of the Phlegms.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

ok while we're at it:

"who's coat is that jacket?", sheep-sha*ging, stealing beef etc etc

But you'll never take away the glory of our male voice choirs or Tom Jones(or a rugby victory over england)
      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Such as ? (curious molly)
        From brittania.com:

"At first, the Welsh language was a major tongue in the streets of Philadelphia, many of whose streets were laid out by Thomas Wynne of Caerwys, North Wales, personal physician to William Penn (his house Wynnewood remains standing, the first stone-built house in the state). Large tracts of land to the north and west of the city were given Welsh names. For instance Uwchlyn, Bala Cynwyd, Bryn Mawr, Llanerch, Merion, St. David's, North Wales, Gwynedd, Tredyffryn, and so on, all of which remain today, and many of which remain unpronouncable to native Pennsylvanians. "

I live in Uwchlyn

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000

From brittania.com:

"At first, the Welsh language was a major tongue in the streets of Philadelphia, many of whose streets were laid out by Thomas Wynne of Caerwys, North Wales, personal physician to William Penn (his house Wynnewood remains standing, the first stone-built house in the state). Large tracts of land to the north and west of the city were given Welsh names. For instance Uwchlyn, Bala Cynwyd, Bryn Mawr, Llanerch, Merion, St. David's, North Wales, Gwynedd, Tredyffryn, and so on, all of which remain today, and many of which remain unpronouncable to native Pennsylvanians. "

Mmm. Thanks.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Says the chap from the Land of the Phlegms.
            That's only when rosbievs try to speak dutch/flemish !!

Dammit, when do we get out :tongue smiley back!!
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Llanfairpwllgwyngychgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

That infamous place name.

If we can do that then cutting of a testicle over a rugby result seems entirely possible
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                from bbc sport rubgy section:

"Anyone who has heard the Welsh national anthem being sung by thousands of rugby fans will tell you it's an unforgettable song.

No matter what your nationality, it'll make the hairs on the back of you neck stand on end.
                Of course it will, it is just a couple words short of calling Cthulu
                The anthem is called Hen Wlad fy Nhadau and was written by Evan James and his son James in 1856.

The English translation is Land of My Fathers, but the anthem is always sung in Welsh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hen Wlad fy Nhadau

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn anwyl i mi,
                Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri
                Ei gwrol rhyfelwyr, gwlad garwyr tra mad
                Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

Chorus

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
                Tra mor yn fur
                I'r bur hoff bau,
                O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
                Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sy'n hardd
                Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
                Ei nentydd, afonydd i mi

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
                Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed
                Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad
                Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

anyone got a link to an mp3 welsh national anthem? I've been looking for one for 3 hours.....
                  Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

I always like the bit in 'Zulu' when they sing 'Men of Harlech'. Gets to me in the same way as when they sing 'The Marseillaise' in 'Casablanca'.
                    I have March of the Men of Harlech sung by the Welsh Guards (I think) in welsh rather than the english in Zulu. Maybe its not quite as good as the skirling of the pipes to make ya wanna go out and get into some ****, but its stirring stuff anyway.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                      anyone got a link to an mp3 welsh national anthem? I've been looking for one for 3 hours.....
                      the best i could find is a real player one........

@SpencerH,

I know what you mean about bagpipes - they do make me want to go kill someone

In serious mode though, a stirring bagpipe rendition is just what you need to get the blood up, something the scots rugby team need more of i think
                      Last edited by child of Thor; February 25, 2005, 07:14.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor

I know what you mean about bagpipes - they do make me want to go kill someone

In serious mode though, a stirring bagpipe rendition is just what you need to get the blood up, something the scots rugby team need more of i think
                        I always think that the idea with Scots bagpipe playing is that it encourages the Scottish troops to run away from it and attack the enemy, who are of course the reason the terrible caterwauling is being played.

Comment

Working...
                        X