What is it about the Welsh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it about the Welsh?

Keep up-to-date with what's going on in the UK and around the world with the top headlines and breaking news from Yahoo and other publishers.

Dedicated fan...only a month ago we had a similar testicle removing incident in the UK...and 2 years preivously the article on the Welshman ******** a Ewe in full view of tourists on a train.

Something in the water? Coal tar poisoning left over from the thirties?
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

What is it about the Welsh?

Attached Files
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Ahh, the lovely miss Wales 2002.

Gotta love the shirt advertising btw...
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

We've been asking ourselves that for 1000 years.
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

from the article:

"Geoff Huish, 26, was so convinced England would win Saturday's match he told fellow drinkers at a social club, "If Wales win I'll cut my balls off", the paper said on Tuesday."

Well as a welshman myself i can only try to offer my insight. I think it may be to do with the old saying "Taffy was a welshman, taffy was a thief" and the english description for "welching on a bet". The term 'welch' from which the name for Wales and the welsh comes, is actualy an old anglo-saxon word for foreigner.

Which is kind of rich when the 'german' Saxons were the actual foreigners to the british isles at the time, and from whom the english have their roots(added with a good dose of norman french of course)

Since our brutal occupation these are just some of the tags that have been heaped upon welsh people as a whole.

So in reaction to this maybe the guy just decided he couldn't hack being accused of 'welching' on his bet?

Or maybe we're just a bunch of celtic nutters?
          Last edited by child of Thor; February 24, 2005, 10:28.
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor

Or maybe we're just a bunch of celtic nutters?
            Leave us out of it, bejaysus and begorrah.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

This can't possibly be a generally Welsh trait, or they wouldn't have survived as a race. It was my impression that you need those things to reproduce, you know.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

from bbc sport rubgy section:

"Anyone who has heard the Welsh national anthem being sung by thousands of rugby fans will tell you it's an unforgettable song.

No matter what your nationality, it'll make the hairs on the back of you neck stand on end.

The anthem is called Hen Wlad fy Nhadau and was written by Evan James and his son James in 1856.

The English translation is Land of My Fathers, but the anthem is always sung in Welsh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hen Wlad fy Nhadau

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn anwyl i mi,
                Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri
                Ei gwrol rhyfelwyr, gwlad garwyr tra mad
                Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

Chorus

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
                Tra mor yn fur
                I'r bur hoff bau,
                O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
                Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sy'n hardd
                Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
                Ei nentydd, afonydd i mi

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
                Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed
                Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad
                Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translation

Land of My Fathers

The land of my fathers is dear unto me
                Old land where the minstrels are honoured and free
                Its warring defenders so gallant and brave
                For freedom their life's blood they gave.

Chorus

Home, home, true am I to home
                While seas secure the land so pure
                O may the old language endure.

Old land of the mountains, the Eden of bards
                Each gorge and each valley a loveliness guards
                Through love of my country, charmed voices will be
                Its streams, and its rivers, to me.

Though foemen have trampled my land 'neath their feet
                The language of Cambria still knows no retreat
                The muse is not vanquished by traitor's fell hand
                Nor silenced the harp of my land."

It was a good and deserving victory over the england rugby team, but not worth losing your nuts over imho
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                  from bbc sport rubgy section:

"Anyone who has heard the Welsh national anthem being sung by thousands of rugby fans will tell you it's an unforgettable song.

No matter what your nationality, it'll make the hairs on the back of you neck stand on end.
                  My partner's father is in a Welsh male voice choir, and they're extremely popular all over Europe, the United States and Canada. They even scored free drinks for all of them when walking back from a performance in Germany. The bar owner heard their accents, invited them in to sing one song, and then it was free beer all the way. Very happy Welshmen.

I always like the bit in 'Zulu' when they sing 'Men of Harlech'. Gets to me in the same way as when they sing 'The Marseillaise' in 'Casablanca'.

The Welsh

'Zulu' :

The Marseillaise:

'Casablanca' :

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

unpronounceable names of suburbs of Philadelphia
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.†Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      Such as ? (curious molly)

Comment

Hen Wlad fy Nhadau

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn anwyl i mi,
                        Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri
                        Ei gwrol rhyfelwyr, gwlad garwyr tra mad
                        Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

Chorus

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
                        Tra mor yn fur
                        I'r bur hoff bau,
                        O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
                        Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sy'n hardd
                        Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
                        Ei nentydd, afonydd i mi

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
                        Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed
                        Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad
                        Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

And suddenly I understand why that guy in the pic has no teeth, it's so he can pronounce these words!!!
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                          That would explain all the afro-americans with the surname 'Williams' then?

And Alva (its a phonetic language for the most part)
                          Last edited by child of Thor; February 24, 2005, 11:13.

Comment

Did the Welsh trade their vowels to the Finns in exchange for their consonants?
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

In the title:
                              Wlad = land

First line
                              wlad = land

second line
                              Gwlad = (old?) land

but then in chorus,
                              gwlad = home!!

Comment

Working...
                              X