US citizen's information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US citizen's information

I'm quite cynic when it comes to politics; Machiavel is the great one here. So whattever happens, I'd hardly be surprised. But sometimes something "funny" comes out (leftish or rightish, depending), and this time it looks like the right meets the old left (Red Ones) with State medias.

The Bush administration has shown a willingness to do just about anything to manipulate public opinion. It paid pundits to say nice things about it. It spent lavishly to create bogus -- and, according to the comptroller general, illegal -- video news reports on the president’s Medicare, education, and drug policies. And it has given us Gannon/Guckert-gate.

Now the Bushies are taking things to the next level. Not content to buy their press coverage retail, they are producing and distributing their own news network. And, no, I’m not talking about Fox. It’s the Pentagon Channel, a 24/7 niche network brought to you by the Department of Defense.

But the most interesting in this context: From an anti-terror perspective, is using information legitimate as any other tools? This is true in the US, but also anywhere else (other places are also affected by war).
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Yeah, makes me miss spinsanity.org

The Bushes admin are masters of media manipulation (although considering the sorry state of the American news media it isn't saying that much) and they've done all kinds of fun stuff from payola, to using the granting embed status to their reporters as a carrot to get the media in line, to getting pet male prostitute "reporters" in news conferances and use them whenever you want a softball question. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Yup
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Bush
        B♭3

Comment

I agree that this is one side, but for someone seeing a threat to his country, should a certain part of this be accepted? For example, As a counter-balance to the opposite side, or as a damnable side-effect of fighting an enemy?

Asking the question without considering if it's nice or not can show broader aspects. All these kind of things are seen from a war to another, including anti-fascist/Nazi and anti-communist/Soviet wars. It's just that now it's called terror. Nice continuity...
          Last edited by Trifna; February 24, 2005, 17:22.
          Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Working...
          X