Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Question

Any mechanics or engineers here?

A teacher I know lives about a 15 minute walk from her school but drives to work every day. She says someone told her a car must be used every day or it will eventually break down from disuse. Is this true? I bought my truck just before I left the country for a month and the car dealer started it once a week for me.
    Formerly known as Masuro.
    The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

She says someone told her a car must be used every day or it will eventually break down from disuse. Is this true?

The clue is at the very start of the quote.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

its not bad advice to take your car out on the freeway occasionally and get it up to speed to help blow out carbon that can accumulate from city driving, but every day? Hehe... If you dont need it to go somewhere, let it sit until you do need it. If you live in a cold climate it helps to start it up and let it run a while every week or so just to keep the battery charged up. Weaker batteries are prone to going dead in winter conditions and it ain't fun to jump start a car in 20 degree weather. But disuse can be a problem, seals need to be lubricated and water plugs can start rusting when the engine sits a long time, so there is some merit to keep the car in running condition.

We let our suburban sit for about 5 years and all I had to do to get it going was replace the battery and knock off the wasp nests around the carburator, so even the gas left in the tank will remain stable for a long time. But at some point it breaks down into a turpentine-like substance.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I didn't think it needed to be started every day. Obviously a rumour started by the oil companies . . . . .

Comment

yeah she needs a better escuse for that.

like worried about getting mugged etc.

I would recommend once a week. It's good to rotate the tires as well, especially in climates such is mine. But that probably only needs to be done every few months.

I've heard of people who only used their cars once a week, and they last a very long time.

my recommendations is once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

my recommendations is once a week.
            TRANSLATION: "The figure I have plucked out of thin air is once a week"

Comment

exactly

Comment

Thanks for the help. I didn't think it needed to be started every day. Obviously a rumour started by the oil companies . . . . .
                Oh boy...

Comment

You know you want to Berz!!!!
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

Oh boy...
                    It was a joke . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                    X