No announcement yet.

Hardware experts desperately needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sound very much like a power supply problem. My first step would be to get a new power supply - then work on the disks.

My dad had a problem very much like yours, and after getting a new power supply, he could access his HDD easily. The file systems was damaged, though, so he had to have professionals repair it, so as not to lose data.

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Well, I'm leaning on getting a new power supply. Not because I can afford it, but because I can't afford losing more devices if this would be the problem.

UR, no, I don't use even the 4 IDE devices at the same time. I did for a while maybe a year ago and the puter jammed totally, and wouldn't boot up AT ALL, unless I would take out all the cords and cables, take out all the IDE devices, then booting it once with nothing attached, because it would give me a failure in the mobo, and then I would plug it all back, except only 3 devices, then it would work. WIth 4? No. Besides, now I have only 2 devices, usually 2 HDDs, but sometimes one HDD and one DVD-R or so.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
        Well, I'm leaning on getting a new power supply. Not because I can afford it, but because I can't afford losing more devices if this would be the problem.

You can never have an overpowerful PSU - but you certainly can have an underpowered PSU.

Originally posted by Pekka
        UR, no, I don't use even the 4 IDE devices at the same time. I did for a while maybe a year ago and the puter jammed totally, and wouldn't boot up AT ALL, unless I would take out all the cords and cables, take out all the IDE devices, then booting it once with nothing attached, because it would give me a failure in the mobo, and then I would plug it all back, except only 3 devices, then it would work. WIth 4? No. Besides, now I have only 2 devices, usually 2 HDDs, but sometimes one HDD and one DVD-R or so.
        Perhaps you had the Master/Slave switches set up wrong? Perhaps 2 hard drives were trying to boot at once?

If you don't want it to happen again matey... BACKUP YOUR FILES!

How cheap is a blank DVD-R/CD-R these days? Hmm?
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Working...
        X