Computer help: overwritten file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help: overwritten file

I'm running a LaTex editor (WinEDT), and I opened an old file simply to use it as a template. I erased the contents and started writing up the new file. I forgot to "save as" newfile.tex however, and so when I LaTexed->PDF the first couple of paragraphs to make sure it was looking right the editor automatically: saved the file as oldfile.tex (overwriting) and created oldfile.pdf (overwriting that too). Now I have no copy of my original oldfile. Before I do anything is there a way to restore my old file?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Holy ****. Never mind. The buffer in that mother****ing program is huge. It let me undo all the way back to my original file.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data >>>>>>>

Comment

The data is still on the HDD but you can't access it the usual way. Try searching for a data recovery program, and install it on another drive.

This reminds me a feature in the VMS file system that's not in other operating systems: automatic versioning.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          This reminds me a feature in the VMS file system that's not in other operating systems: automatic versioning.
          NTFS, as you probably did not know, is based on the VMS filesystem. NTFS was a simplified, higher-performance version that kept the ACL and journaling, and removed versioning.
          NTFS 6.0 is adding versioning again, since computers are faster with more storage.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            NTFS, as you probably did not know, is based on the VMS filesystem.
            Didn't you see what I post in another thread? VMS and WNT is just a one letter shift.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
            X