Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top 100 Gadgets of All Time

...according to MobilePC

At MyDealsClub we remember reading the magazine as far back as 2004 and remember it with fondness. So when the opportunity came up to acquire the domain name

My favourites are #79 and #71
    Blah

Very interesting list. Probably overloaded with too many watches, computers, and cameras. The rankings are a mystery, too.

Obviously missing: media like the floppy disc, the audio cassette, the recordable CD. Audio transducers like the microphone and the loudspeaker. Visual media like the motion picture camera and the video camera. The TI handheld calculator changed the lives of engineers forever. There's the crystal radio, the videocassette, the Betamax, the Victrola, the audio tape recorder, the electric guitar, the synthesizer, the lyre, the cymbal, the Roland Space Echo tape delay, the vaccuum tube. the printing press, the typewriter, the Xerox photocopier, the flatbed scanner, microfiche, the electromagnet, the compass, eyeglasses, contact lenses, sunglasses...

The more I think about it, the more they missed... but I guess that makes it a thought-provoking list.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yep a lot of things missing. And the first Apple Powerbook plus two other laptop models beats the phone?

The TI handheld calculator changed the lives of engineers forever.

Shouldn't that be HP?
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

You might be right about HP vs TI on the early engineer calcs. All I know is that people came running from all over campus when the first one appeared in Champaign, fall of 1971.

Looking at their rules, I had to modify the list, but I did send them a submission.
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I have no idea really, it's just that older engineers all seem to love RPN, and have antique HP calculators.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

While HP did come out with the first "scientific" hand held calculator... TI came out with the first programmable scientific hand held calculator.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I suppose it depends on how you define gadgets.

Cell Phones and Potato Peelers are both gadgets. A laptop isn't.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Too many laptops on that list.

The iPod higher than the telephone?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                  You might be right about HP vs TI on the early engineer calcs. All I know is that people came running from all over campus when the first one appeared in Champaign, fall of 1971.

Looking at their rules, I had to modify the list, but I did send them a submission.
                  HP Calculator is on the list. Check out #15.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I can't believe they left off the Bumper Dumper!

Comment

What, no Gameboy?
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                        What, no Gameboy?
                        Game Boy is #25 (on page 4).

Comment

They left off the Ronco Pocket Fisherman! Jackasses!

Comment

There's too much BS on that list.

Comment

The Popeil Pocket Fisherman IS on the list.

Comment

Working...
                              X