Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Ozzy some Blues

Another music recommendation thread.

Any blues fans out there? I really like great guitar, and I've heard some amazing blues stuff out there. But I don't know names of songs or artists. Any ideas?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

B.B. King duh

try out Lucille

Comment

miss lavelle white, omar and the howlers, toni price, and of course... stevie ray vaughn.
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Muddy Waters, Albert King, T-Bone Walker...

I prefer vocally driven blues over guitar blues, though. Just got this amazing Etta James album Blues to the Bone.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

I prefer blues rock myself. But I do like B.B. King.

Comment

If you don't mind really old stuff, Robert Johnson's complete recordings is a must.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

My faves get the **

** Buddy Guy (know for awesome axe; very underrated vocalist)
              Johnny Clyde Copeland (just classic blues)
              ** Son Seals (recently died; incredible axe man))
              ** Shemekia Copeland (Johnny's daughter; incredible pipes)
              Little Charlie & The Nightcats (white guys)
              ** The Kinsey Report (very rockin'!}
              Albert King (classic blues, rock influenced)
              Katie Webster (oh mama!!)
              Lonnie Brooks (just another great guitarist...)
              James Cotton (harp guy)
              Junior Wells (another harp artist, likes to rock)
              ** Tinsley Ellis (white guy, absolutely smokin' player)
              Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown (underrated classic)

The labels to look for are Silvertone and Alligator. Both are marks of legitimacy and quality.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I like fast stuff too. Fast with lots of guitar.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

ERIC CLAPTON - BLUESBREAKERS. a must have. this one album put him in the hall of fame.

he did this thing with john mayall
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Since I am poor and piracy-minded, what are some good songs off that album?

Oh, and a friend played for me Johnny Lang's first album, and it was awesome, I liked everything on that. I just listened to BB King's Lucille, and I didn't care for it much.

Comment

Guitar will be pretty inescapable on most blues stuff. i suspect you want to draw that direct line from rock back to its blues roots. So listen to Black Crowes, Rolling stones, Aerosmith, et al, then go directly to:

Albert King, Albert Collins, Kinsey Report, Buddy Guy, Lonnie Brooks, Tinsley Ellis.

Little Charlie & the Nightcats are fast.

Most of my stuff is on vinyl. I'd rip it for you if I had the machinery...
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

all your love
                        stepping out
                        ramblin on my mind
                        double crossin time

live, but with the same group

'they call it stormy monday' (this is a cover, origianlly by t bone walker) this song is unbeliievable
                        'have you ever loved a woman'

these songs are hard to find

TRUST ME
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                          Guitar will be pretty inescapable on most blues stuff. i suspect you want to draw that direct line from rock back to its blues roots. So listen to Black Crowes, Rolling stones, Aerosmith, et al, then go directly to:

Albert King, Albert Collins, Kinsey Report, Buddy Guy, Lonnie Brooks, Tinsley Ellis.

Little Charlie & the Nightcats are fast.

Most of my stuff is on vinyl. I'd rip it for you if I had the machinery...
                          That sounds right. Though I don't care much for the Stones or the Black Crowes. *shrug*
                          One of my favorite songs of late though is Led Zeppelin's Since I've Been Loving You, very bluesy. Slow though, so I guess having some magnificent guitar playing trumps the speed of it. Eh, I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                            all your love
                            stepping out
                            ramblin on my mind
                            double crossin time

live, but with the same group

'they call it stormy monday' (this is a cover, origianlly by t bone walker) this song is unbeliievable
                            'have you ever loved a woman'

these songs are hard to find

TRUST ME
                            Found 'em all. Piece of cake

Comment

Memphis Minnie:

Son House:

Leadbelly:

IGAS is the social side of the Folk Music Weekends that happen every May and September at Savio House, Macclesfield Cheshire. Music, beer and good companionship with friendly people - superb.

Elmore James:

I'd also recommend the Bessie Smith blues' collections on CBS, such as Empress of the Blues, Empty Bed Blues and so forth, and also the remarkable Alberta Hunter who not only sang but also wrote the blues and jazz, and had an international career, taking her to France and the United Kingdom.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X