X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Banana Republic?
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

You don't need to ask DanS - it's not even close.

Look up comparative GDP's. Start adding up western European countries. You'll notice you can stop after the big four.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I refuse to vote in this poll for two reasons:

1) No banana option.

2) No Denmark option.

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

UK. China will be, soon, but potential power doesn't mean it has much influence now. Economically it's huge, but has little effect outside it's borders, and politically/diplomatically it lags behind the other four other UNSC nations.
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Great Britain being #1 on that list, right? Otherwise, Canada has to drop farther.
            I won't threadjack, make another thread on it. British comedy sucks (with a few notable exceptions)

Comment

how so?

They actually have aircraft carriers. China does not.

China cannot project their power accross a narrow strip of water, Great Britain can.

I voted for China, but that's mostly for economic reasons. China could not take on Great Britain on neutral battleground.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                how so?

They actually have aircraft carriers. China does not.
                There are many who say that Britain *is* an aircraft carrier.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Why do so many people overestimate the strength of China and underestimate that of the UK?
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Simply, probably because the UK is dwarfed by being directly compared to the US, and China is a relative unknown, and people fear the unknown.

Comment

Finland!
                      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                        Why do so many people overestimate the strength of China and underestimate that of the UK?

Its probably a sheer manpower thing when one country has the potential (even if it does not have the current ability) to field an army as large as the population of its rival.

If we are talking ability to PROJECT military power its probably the UK--

Diplomatic influence -- I'm not sure-- UK probably has a moderate level of influence around the world while I see the Chinese more as having a amssive amount of influence in their immediate region
                        Current and potential economic might -- China
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Because their wish for an 'alternative' power to arise is so strong they've actually managed to convince themselves that this is the way it already is.

It's the 'progressive' way of looking at things these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            ...British comedy sucks (with a few notable exceptions)
                            Says the American...US comedy sucks, with very rare exception...
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              I thought Kids in the Hall was a riot... Braincandy is one my most favorite movies about drugs and homosexuals.
                              Monty Python PWNS Kids in the Hall

And Blackadder PWNS both!
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You don't need to ask DanS - it's not even close.

Look up comparative GDP's. Start adding up western European countries. You'll notice you can stop after the big four.
                                Pick any of the big 3 and you can stop after 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X