Farscape and BSG patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
    While I don't disagree that they may be there, I doubt a screenwriter just sits down, says to himself "I'm going to remake the War on Terror - IN SPACE!" and gets started.

You'd actually be surprised at how much conscious work goes into making art.

More likely than not the stuff arises from the mind on its own - besides, themes of subversion, temptation, witchhunts etc. are old stuff, history has that habit of repeating itself, so I don't honestly believe these "patterns" are the result of any conscious decision. It's just art building upon other art and actual events.

This is also true, but it doesn't mean the patterns aren't real and aren't worthy of discussion. Art criticism is actually quite fascinating, and even simple seeming stories can have porfound deepness when examined more thoroughly.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Okay, last episode.
      It seems that the human looking cylons feel that they are more human than the Colonials. Not only that but the Cylons position is that the Colonials are idol worshippers and thus are paying for there sins. This seems straight out of the bible. I tell you there are PATTERNS HERE!
      What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
      What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

I once read something about how the original BSG series was supposed to be anti-USSR.
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Let me broaden the question(s).
          From the standpoint of religion. Does the fact that the Colonials are idol worshippers make them the bad guys. Therefore deserving what they got? From a religous standpoint, is it not okay to smite non-believers in Judeo-Christian-Muslim tradition?
          What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
          What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

I once read something about how the original BSG series was supposed to be strongly Mormon-influenced.

I also read something about how Orson Scott Card's Homecoming series was also Mormon-influenced.

Both OSC and Gary Larson are practicing Mormons.
            B♭3

Comment

Working...
            X