• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacification one step closer in Iraq?

Reuters

Report: U.S. in Secret Talks with Iraqi Insurgents

Sun Feb 20, 1:55 PM ET Top Stories - Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. diplomats and intelligence officers are conducting secret talks with Iraq (news - web sites)'s Sunni insurgents on ways to end fighting there, Time magazine reported on Sunday, citing Pentagon (news - web sites) and other sources.

The Bush administration has said it would not negotiate with Iraqi fighters and there is no authorized dialogue but the U.S. is having "back-channel" communications with certain insurgents, unidentified Washington and Iraqi sources told the magazine.

The magazine cited a secret meeting between two members of the U.S. military and an Iraqi negotiator, a middle-aged former member of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s regime and the senior representative of what he called the nationalist insurgency.

A U.S. officer tried to get names of other insurgent leaders while the Iraqi complained the new Shi'ite-dominated government was being controlled by Iran, according to an account of the meeting provided by the Iraqi negotiator.

"We are ready to work with you," the Iraqi negotiator said, according to Time.

Iraqi insurgent leaders not aligned with al Qaeda ally Abu Mousab al-Zarqawi told the magazine several nationalist groups composed of what the Pentagon calls "former regime elements" have become open to negotiating.

The insurgents said their aim was to establish a political identity that can represent disenfranchised Sunnis.

The White House had no immediate comment on the report.

When asked about the contacts, Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record) of Nebraska, a member of both the Senate foreign relations and intelligence committees, said it was important to "reach out" in Iraq.

"We've got a very complicated and dangerous situation over there and you are going to have to reach out, you are going to have to develop some relationships and networks," he said on CNN's "Late Edition."

Controversial Iraqi politician Ahmad Chalabi said on Sunday the outcome of any negotiations between insurgents and the U.S. military would not be binding for a new Iraqi government.

"I know nothing about such negotiations. Those negotiations will in no way bind the elected government of Iraq," he said in an interview with ABC's "This Week." "The issue here is not negotiating with the killers who are killing the Iraqi people."

also

AP - Sunnis Seek Place in New Iraqi Government
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Wow

Maybe the sucess of the elections has actually shown the Sunnis that the past order was gone, and that if they wanted to be present in the new Iraq, they had to play ball.

Like with all other topics that mix the word "diplomacy" and "Iraq", I am very cautious, because there's no way to trust either side not to **** it up, but the mere fact that a backdoor negociation channel is (alledgedly) established is good news. That actually means some Sunnis want to talk, and that some Yanks don't respond by wanting to kill'em all
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yay, we're turning yet another corner in Iraq...
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Bleh, beat me to ze punch.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

you mean, WE'RE NEGOTIATING WITH TERRORISTS?!?!?!?? OMGOMGOMGOMG BUSH IS TEH APPEASER!!
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It would be nice if they could whittle away the insurgency with a combination of diplomacy and military action. Time will tell if that will happen.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Many Sunnis believe that they are the majority in Iraq. Will the insurgents demand the right to appoint the majority of delegates to the national assembly?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

The AMS, publicly, was intransigent as ever in yesterday's conference. Dunno how successful these talks will be, but it's good to see that we're finally trying.
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

What makes you think the insurgents were willing to talk before getting their asses handed to them militarily and politically?
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

How does incessant violence, and a successful Sunni Arab election boycott constitute "getting their asses handed to them militarily and politically?"

And who said that I ever thought such talks would be very successful?
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

How does not reaching any of their goals through their violent campaigns, and then realizing after the fact that not only have you alienated yourselves from the rest of your country for no gain, and then on top of that denied yourself the guarunteed seats in a new government that will succeed despite your childish temper tantrum equal anything else but "getting their asses handed to them militarily and politically?"

Successful Sunni Arab election boycott. HA. Priceless. You are correct Ramo, they successfull shot their cause in the head
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

No, they shot the moderate Sunni Arabs like Pachachi's and Yawar's cause in the head. The boycott helped to insure that Sunni Arabs wouldn't see themselves represented in the new gov't or the Constitution, adding fuel to the insurgency. They don't want to settle for being a small player in the new gov't, that's the entire point of the insurgency.
                        -Bokonon

Comment

adding fuel to the insurgency
                          And dooming their population to living in economic depression and political insignificance for then next few decades at least. Sore damn loser. In any case, the most likely reasons some of the insurgent groups are talking is that they see the wind is blowing, and it isn't their direction.

I am pretty sure theire is a rule about using historic revisionism on history a month old Ramo.

Comment

There's a rule about bringing up non-sequiters completely irrelevent to what you're quoting.

The main reason that the insurgent groups are talking is that we rejected trying to talk with them before. See the influence of Chalabi.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

The main reason that the insurgent groups are talking is that we rejected trying to talk with them before.
                              I will give you a chance to edit that to some sort of coherent statement with meaning. It is just a little to easy to pick on that and you normally do better.

Comment

Working...
                              X