Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a video game

Comment

anyone have details on that Cassini fission plant? I admit I did not know it had one. Having worked in the nuclear power industry in the past, I'm curious of the design. I'm a reactor design buff . I love all the science that goes in the design of reactors. You just don't thrown them together. Everything has to be in the correct ration and in the correct position in order to have proper moderation of neutrons.

Small nuclear reactors I find intersting. I would like to get one for my home . For spacecraft, they wouldn't have to use as much shielding. Though neutron radiation can cause steel to become brittle, especially when cold or undergoing rapid cool down (the reason why we control cool down rates when shutting down our reactors)

Comment

My first thought on seeing it was, "That's straight out of the landing scene from Aliens!"
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Gah. I'm already thinking of the outrageous amount of energy it must require to have this 3-ton thing hover. Even if it's not as bad as Earth, Mars' gravity is real.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

This is cool stuff!

Am I correct in thinking that the sea itself is 45 meters deep, but that the thickness of the dust covering hasn't been given?

Wow, I wonder how much of that mass is dedicated to fuel
            Not much. It will be fueled by an RTG -- i.e., low-grade nuclear.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I goofed on that -- it's an RTG, not a fission plant.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                This is cool stuff!

Am I correct in thinking that the sea itself is 45 meters deep, but that the thickness of the dust covering hasn't been given?
                From what I understand, the dust is 45m thick, but the depht of the sea is unknown. They say it's unlikely that Mars Express' further instruments can be used on this one, unless it's many more tens of metres deeper... I interpret it as an uncertainty about the depht of the sea, and as a "confident guess" about the thickness of the dust.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Personally, I'd favor sending an ATAT walker.
                  That's slated for after the Abrams tank.

Comment

Although the type of RTG's to be used on the 2009 Mars Rover is not known, we can make a safe assumption that they will be similar in performance to the last nuclear powered spacecraft - Cassini. Each of the three RTG's onboard Cassini generates about 290 watts of electric power. The 2009 Rover specifications currently call for two RTG units. If they are identical to the Cassini RTG's then we can expect a total available power level of 580 watts. Now compare that to Spirit and Opportunity's solar power generation of 140 watts and you will see that the 2009 Rover will have over four times the power levels available.

But it's not just about the total amount of electrical generation for the science instruments. It's also the duration of power generation. Spirit and Opportunity max out at 140 watts for up to four hours per day. The nuclear powered rover will have 580 watts of power production available 24 hours and 37 minutes (the length of a martian day) every day. The 2009 Rover's power surplus will allow increased robotic capability that is expected to significantly increase the quality and quantity of science conducted on the Martian surface. Compared to the 2003 MER rovers equipped to travel up to 100 yards a day for three-months, the MSL rover will explore miles of the Red Planet during a multiyear mission, conducting science investigation in less time and with less human oversight than previous Mars rovers.

Hope that give you some idea, Diss.

Comment

Oh look, it's armed.

Comment

What happened to all the shielding on that fission reactor?
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Pay no attention to the mad ravings about fission reactors.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            Early rendition -- note the lack of solar panels:

I heard -- somewhere -- that they're designing a tiny fission plant, like on Cassinni, so that it can do without solar panels.

the viking stuff was nuclear(and earlier stuff as well). Its solid stuff, but we should do both solar and nuclear for these guys.

Comment

I claim the ocean.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The commies claim Mars - it's not called the Red Planet for nothing.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X