No announcement yet.

How many Civ games would fit on a DVD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Civ games would fit on a DVD?

NOTE: this is not in any way a warez thread. I am not advocating stealing, in any way, from people who make the games we all love.

Now, I was looking for my Civ 2 MGE CD the other day and couldn't find it. I finally did find it, but it made me wonder: why should I in this age of cheap DVD keep my Civ games on separate CDs? Can they all fit on a DVD? Civ 2 is pretty small and I guess I could easily fit ALL basic civ games: Civ 1, 2 & 3, CtP 1 & 2, and SMAX on one DVD.

I still havent found the rest of my CDs, so I ask you all how big are the rest of the games, and can they all fit there?

If they could, it would be great. I'd make the DVD, call it "the ultimate timewaste pack" and keep it near me at all times

Maybe Civ3 incl. its add-ons PTW and C3C should be on one separate disc? My own Civ3 installation is ca. 3 GB, but of course that includes several mods, custom units etc....

+0

Edit: how much space has a dvd these days? I have only an old fashioned CD drive, so I don't know.....
    Blah

Comment

You could put all three civ gmes on a DVD. I'm not sure about expansions, but probably.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I'm pretty sure Civ 3 with the expansions would fit. Civ 2 and Civ 1 take up a non-notable amount of space.

I think you may also end up being able to put one more game on that DVD, but you'll probably need two in the end. So probably a good solution is to put Civ 3 + expansions on one disk, and CtP1/2, Civ1/2 and SMAC/X on another.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Edit: how much space has a dvd these days?
          About 4.5 gb, with a dual-layered dvd fitting a little under twice that.
          4.5 gb = about 6 or 7 650mb cds.

Was PTW worth getting? From what I heard, it wasn't, so I just got Conquests.
          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Didn't Conquests include everything PTW did, anyway?
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yeah, if you have Conquests, there's no reason to have PTW too.

PTW had some additional stuff for modders so I bought it when it came out (although I had expected much more). Of course, C3C has even more options in the editor, and the PTW bonus stuff (WWII or Japanese units sets) has later be made freeware by Firaxis....iIf I knew about Conquests coming soon I wouldn't have bought PTW either.....
              Blah

Comment

I'm a bit of a collector (civ-like games only), I don't have as big a collection as Rasbelin, but I'm working on it

I do have Conquests, though I can't find it at the moment to see how big exactly it is. So it has everything PtW has, good, only two CDs of Civ 3 then.

I'll also try to zip the files or something, to see how well I can compress it. Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know what I managed.

Is Colonization abandonware btw.?

Comment

I think the entire series would fit, including SMAC.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

Is Colonization abandonware btw.?
                    Nope

Asmodean
                    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

However, you stil need the original CDs to play the games, which is a bit of a pain.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

In theory.
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

What, is using some sort of virtual CD software somehow illegal?

Comment

No. There's an easier way, of course
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

We did a thing on this back in 2000 or so. Civ 1 came on 3 3 1/2 floppy and Civ 2 was like less than 20 MB.

Comment

Working...
                              X