• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baudrillard's "precession of simulacra"

Such would be the successive stages of the image:
    • it is the reflection of a profound reality
    • it masks and denatures a profound reality
    • it masks the absence of a profound reality
    • it has no relation to any reality whatsoever: it is its own pure simulacrum

Discuss.

Assuming Baudrillard's stages are correct, according to what process would one stage be superseded by another?

Discuss.

Why?

Comment

Better to discuss his corollary (this is a paraphrase):

"California needs Disneyland so that they know the rest of the place is real."

I love Baudrillard, but isn't he over by now?
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I love Baudrillard, but isn't he over by now?
        Hmmm... I'd always seen the bulk of his theories as wild extrapolations that have yet to be fully realized... my mind seems to automatically throw most of his stuff into the science-fiction and "we'll see" basket... but maybe that's just me.

Why?
        Why discuss Bush? Hell... why discuss Jesus? Baudrillard is infinitely more interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Dracon II

Hmmm... I'd always seen the bulk of his theories as wild extrapolations that have yet to be fully realized... my mind seems to automatically throw most of his stuff into the science-fiction and "we'll see" basket... but maybe that's just me.
          Actually, I think he probably was like this when his major writings (like Simulations) first appeared in the 70s. But he was so on-target, that now I read him and think, "Yes, we know that; what else ya got?"

Plus, with his recent book on 9/11, he's become a foolish, irritating parody of his once-excellent self.

Why discuss Bush? Hell... why discuss Jesus? Baudrillard is infinitely more interesting...
          That, of course, is quite true...
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Reading Baudrillard and getting one's penis stuck in a car door- about the same level of pleasure, but at least the car door experience teaches you not to do it again.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I'll have to jam my penis in a car door then... because Baudrillard is one of the most interesting writers I've encountered. A little difficult sometimes... but then so is most material from the french postmodern genre... like Deleuze & Guattari and Derrida (I'm reading Deleuze and Guattari at the moment)

Comment

Call me a fuddle-brained Heideggerian, but I never understood what was wrong with creating new reality.
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Ahhh! If you read Deleuze and Guattari, they'll teach you how to make yourself a body without organs... When I was younger, I loved this stuff...
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Baudrillaud? Heidegger?

Why not read some actual philosophy?
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                    X