Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bush visit to Brussels, what to expect ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    Come on, I may be nice and shoot in the legs .

Oh well, just a rock cake to the crotch then.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Now, armored underwear that is light to wear should go to the useful invention thread.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Already been invented. They call it the 'cup'. For not realizing this I reward you with a rock cake to your unprotected groin and mix fat lady armpit sweat into your drink and vanish before you can retaliate and/or find me.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

From this day on, I'll blame you whenever something wrong.

Comment

Good!
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Yeah, you've now secured an eternal place for yourself in my thoughts.

Comment

*tear* I'm so sad right now! Wait.. no I'm not.. Haheahea
                In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  In general, a cream-pie in the face brings the worst out of pressured people. I don't remember if Gates was merely annoyed, or if he was on the verge to kill... In any case, the pie-guy has been brutalized quite a few times by his victims (who aren't precisely athletes though)
                  Anything to face provokes a much stronger instinctive reaction than hits to the body. Most people will turn around with a burning rage if hit with any force. It takes a lot of self-control to laugh it off plausibly.
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Ahem...

Back on topic.
                    Bush is speaking all the right words. This is a talent of his going into negotiations, but rarely backed up in the negotiations. His idea of reaching a consensus is everybody deciding to see it his way. If this trait has truly changed, then perhaps we will see some thaw in Trans-Atlantic relations. If not, then things may actually get worse. Key items to watch: Bush on Euro efforts with Iran. EU on training efforts NATO WRT Iraqi forces. Joint communique WRT situation in Lebanon/Syria.

If there is some type of concrete consensus on any of these issues then we can say progress has been made.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                      Ahem...

Back on topic.
                      Bush is speaking all the right words. This is a talent of his going into negotiations, but rarely backed up in the negotiations. His idea of reaching a consensus is everybody deciding to see it his way.
                      Yep, I think that's why the Bushies were so furious when Chirac and Schröder "rebelled". Fortunately, Bush may have grown the wiser, with the experience of the Iraqi quagmire.

If this trait has truly changed, then perhaps we will see some thaw in Trans-Atlantic relations. If not, then things may actually get worse. Key items to watch: Bush on Euro efforts with Iran. EU on training efforts NATO WRT Iraqi forces. Joint communique WRT situation in Lebanon/Syria.

I have heard the US plan to back our efforts in Iran. I was immensely surprised, considering that the Americans generally scoff at diplomatic attempts to have rogue States change their ways. I was even more surprised, because the "nice guy" approach failed in North Korea a short time ago. However, should Bush continue to back our efforts, I think that will be interpreted as a serious token of trust. Now, the American diplomacy should make it clear (that it's a token of trust), and the European diplomacy should understand it.

Actually, I think there is a new transatlantic understanding forming, considering the latest UN resolution against Syria that was sponsored both by the US and France.

Unless one side ****s it up in the future, the Iraqi diplomatic debacle may have succeeded at promoting a new form of transatlantic cooperation, where the US and European countries listen to each other, and agree to make concessions to each other. That certainly beats the vassalism that Bush envisioned in the buildup of the Iraq war.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Unless one side ****s it up in the future, the Iraqi diplomatic debacle may have succeeded at promoting a new form of transatlantic cooperation, where the US and European countries listen to each other, and agree to make concessions to each other.
                        I have great hope that this will be the case. The major perception of Europe over here right now is "Good intentions with no will to act". Well, usually we believe they have good intentions.

That certainly beats the vassalism that Bush envisioned in the buildup of the Iraq war.
                        You would have made excellent vassals however...
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

Anything to face provokes a much stronger instinctive reaction than hits to the body. Most people will turn around with a burning rage if hit with any force. It takes a lot of self-control to laugh it off plausibly.
                          John Prescott and eggs anyone?

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                            His idea of reaching a consensus is everybody deciding to see it his way.
                            Reaching a consensus (any consensus) would already be a success, given how difficult this is in the EU.

Things would be much easier if the EU had a president, like the US, but that is only wishful thinking of course.
                            veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

Results so far : all EU members will make a contribution to a NATO fund to finance training for Iraki military.
                              Some contributions will be rather modest though (Belgium is donating 300 000 € I think)

Next topic : will the weapons embargo against China be ended ?
                              veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

And we got 4.000.000$ in return to train officers in Congo.
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X