X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsunami Uncovers Ancient City in India

By Associated Press

February 18, 2005, 5:34 PM EST

MAHABALIPURAM, India -- Archaeologists have begun underwater excavations of what is believed to be an ancient city and parts of a temple uncovered by the tsunami off the coast of a centuries-old pilgrimage town.

Three rocky structures with elaborate carvings of animals have emerged near the coastal town of Mahabalipuram, which was battered by the Dec. 26 tsunami.

As the waves receded, the force of the water removed sand deposits that had covered the structures, which appear to belong to a port city built in the seventh century, said T. Satyamurthy, a senior archaeologist with the Archaeological Survey of India.

Mahabalipuram is already well known for its ancient, intricately carved shore temples that have been declared a World Heritage site and are visited each year by thousands of Hindu pilgrims and tourists. According to descriptions by early British travel writers, the area was also home to seven pagodas, six of which were submerged by the sea.

The government-run archaeological society and navy divers began underwater excavations of the area on Thursday.

"The tsunami has exposed a bas relief which appears to be part of a temple wall or a portion of the ancient port city. Our excavations will throw more light on these," Satyamurthy told The Associated Press by telephone from Madras, the capital of Tamil Nadu state.

The six-foot rocky structures that have emerged in Mahabalipuram, 30 miles south of Madras, include an elaborately carved head of an elephant and a horse in flight. Above the elephant's head is a small square-shaped niche with a carved statue of a deity. Another structure uncovered by the tsunami has a reclining lion sculpted on it.

According to archaeologists, lions, elephants and peacocks were commonly used to decorate walls and temples during the Pallava period in the seventh and eighth centuries.

"These structures could be part of the legendary seven pagodas. With the waters receding and the coastline changing, we expect some more edifices to be exposed," Satyamurthy said.

cooooooooool!
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Cthulu?
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

"MAHABALIPURAM, India -- Archaeologists have begun underwater excavations"

I stopped reading after that.. too many of them fancy college boy words. Can't undertand what this says, it's not english I tell you that much right now.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
          Cthulu?
          No, the other green ruins-dwelling squid-headed eldrich beast from beyond. Gary.
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

That's very Larson.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              cooooooooool!
              I'd rather have the 200,000 people back.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Why do you hate science, Boris? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                  Meh, what the heck, it's only 200,000 people. The world'll get over it.

Comment

Well, so would I, but it's kinda too late. We might as well take this and be excited about it because there's always a negative side to every positive story, no matter how big or small. No such thing as a free lunch.
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      "MAHABALIPURAM, India -- Archaeologists have begun underwater excavations"

I stopped reading after that.. too many of them fancy college boy words. Can't undertand what this says, it's not english I tell you that much right now.
                      They are digging underwater to find ruins.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                      X