I'm having another sold-out gig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having another sold-out gig

As some of you might recall, I'm in a band with some old farts that played since the early sixties (contemporary with Beatles and Stones). We all work at the same place, so we're like the corporate rock band. After almost a year of rehearsal, we wanted another gig, so we asked the local pub if they had any suitable dates for us. Tomorrow (Saturday) was open. The pub sells the beer and we sell the tickets.

Our fans are really starved. We sold out the gig by pre-bookings even before we had printed any tickets. And we didn't even advertise, it was just word by mouth. There are 130 people allowed in the room where we're playing, and those tickets were sold 6 weeks ago, but if they open up the adjacent restaurant we can fit 200 into the place, including the band and the staff (according to security regulations). But we have given away some freebies the pub owner don't know about, so I think there will be about 210 people there - totally full house! Some of our fans have been going to our gigs since the sixties, when they were teen girls and I wasn't even born.

I'm getting stage fright now. The whole day tomorrow will be spent rigging the gear and soundchecking. I feel like a kid the day before Christmas.

Here's me singing lead on an outdoor gig last year.
    Attached Files
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Quit your day job and go on tour!
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Give us pictures of the groupies, not pictures of the band!
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        Give us pictures of the groupies, not pictures of the band!
        If they were teens in the sixties, would you still insist?
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

They have daughters, right?
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yes, they will come too.

The pub has a 18-year minimum age though. Fair enough

Comment

Wear a Poly shirt on stage!
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Nay, wear poly underwear!

(and nothing else)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  I haven't been nerdy enough to buy any. Hey, I even turned down Oerdin's offer to buy me an official "Iraqi Freedom" t-shirt. People would look VERY strange at me if I wore any of that.

Comment

Working...
                  X