Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's cuz he doesn't write them.

Comment

The Poweplay books are not very good. They are not written by Clancy. If you want good Clancy, read almost any of his Jack Ryan novels. Hunt for Red October is a classic. Red Storm Rising is great. I also loved Sum of All Fears (the book, not the movie). I also loved Debt of Honor, Executive Orders and Teeth of the Tiger. They are long to read but they are really good.
      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Why's his name on it then, and the all those other series?

---------
        Anyway, here's the of the books I did buy:

Ludlum:
        The Bourne Supremacy
        The Bourne Ultimatum

Cruz-Smith:
        Gorky Park
        Havana Bay

Stephen Hawking for beginners
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The two last Jack Ryan novels are crap, though. He must have gotten a chock from 9/11. He was the first to publish the idea of chrashing jumbo jets into US government buildings, after all (read Debt of Honour).
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Teeth of the Tiger pissed me off. Robby Jackson gets killed?

Between books? WTF?

alva: Bourne books are excellent, just don't expect them to be like the movies.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I know, I read the first one earlier this week.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Supremacy has nothing in common with the movie.

ACK!

Comment

There's a new one out btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                    Teeth of the Tiger pissed me off. Robby Jackson gets killed?

Between books? WTF?
                    !
                    ???It's one thing killing a character off in a film if the actor who plays him dies or won't agree to do the sequel, but in books???????

Comment

Yep, Robby becomes president when Jack resigns (apparently), then gets assassinated by a white supremacist in Mississippi.

Didn't happen in the last Jack Ryan book. The Bear and the Dragon, IIRC.

ACK!

Comment

Yep, Robby becomes president when Jack resigns (apparently), then gets assassinated by a white supremacist in Mississippi.
                        Please tell me thats a joke

Comment

Nope, they don't even explain why Jack resigned.

ACK!

Comment

Didn't happen in the last Jack Ryan book. The Bear and the Dragon, IIRC.

ACK!
                            It's a placeholder for a future novel!

He did that before, remember... Red October takes place after Patriots , despite being written first. That dull retrospective novel featuring the CIA couple back in the cold war was his escape from 9/11, and No Remorse (one of the better, actually) takes place before all of them.

"Teeth of the Tiger" has some features that make you laugh. As always, the heroes never f*ck up. They have all the answers and all the correct intel. No colateral damage, no bombed neutral embassies, nothing like that. And the bad guys die a gruesome death - all of them. And the name of the terrorists' Internet service is Eurocom.net...
                            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Without Remorse, is an excellent book.

ACK!

Comment

Working...
                              X