No announcement yet.

I knew stem cell research out pay off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew stem cell research out pay off!

The BBC is reporting that a new "natural" process of womens' brest enlargement is now possible thanks to advances in stem cell research. The stem cells are used to make new fat cells in women's brest which replicate her natural brest cells. The new process will be safer then the current brest implants because implants can leak while the stem cells mimic a woman's natural brest cells and they should be next to impossible to tell if a woman has had the procedure or not.

I always knew stem cell research would make my life better.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

what if they get outta control and create cancer?
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

What if what if.. read the news again. Bigger breasts. That's all you need to know. I applaud this new scientific breakthrough. More breast for everyone!
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

@Pekka

@stemcells
        Monkey!!!

Comment

If these things are indeed all but identical to the normal cells, won't sudden shifts in hormonal balance, e.g. pregnancy, sort of "reset the clock," causing the boobs to just shrink again eventually?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

but they'd shrink to a larger size

It's like the reverse of lypo-suction only your body is making the fat
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
              If these things are indeed all but identical to the normal cells, won't sudden shifts in hormonal balance, e.g. pregnancy, sort of "reset the clock," causing the boobs to just shrink again eventually?
              The number of fat cells is generally constant, but they expand or contract depending on how much stuff is in them. So they'd still be larger.

Comment

Bigger brests on women. God damn if 2005 isn't looking like a good year.

Comment

If you say so. I'm still inclined to be suspicious of stem cells, and not just because of the embryo thing, which these don't violate anyway. Have we even identified what exactly it is that chemically differentiates a stem cell from a normal one, and what causes it to change and when? Until we do we certainly shouldn't be shoving the things into humans, except in cases of otherwise-fatal disease. And even then these would take a while to clear the FDA, so don't expect newer and better fake boobs anytime soon.

Mostly it's just that my life's experience has repeatedly taught me about the frequency of a free lunch, and the various risks associated with something that sounds too good to be true. They said much the same thing about those gel-packet implants when they came along and replaced whatever primitive thing they were implanting before, didn't they?

And then there are my aesthetic, social and other objections to fake breasts in general...what a demented obsession.
                  1011 1100

Comment

Every human came from stem cells. BTW these aren't fake; they are genetically identical.

Comment

If you say so. I'm still inclined to be suspicious of stem cells, and not just because of the embryo thing, which these don't violate anyway.
                      Speaking of stem cells, did you hear the news that the embryonic lines used in the US research are contiminated? They needed to restart but can't, due to the restrictions.

Have we even identified what exactly it is that chemically differentiates a stem cell from a normal one, and what causes it to change and when?
                      No, but stem cells are not the same as cancer cells.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I know the cell lines are contaminated; it's irrelevant to the ethics of the problem. "Did you know that the government is preventing us from brutally sodomizing little boys with large metal objects for the sake of research that could save lives? You did? Well, did you know that what research we completed before they stopped us turned out to have procedural violations that skewed the results, and so we can't proceed with it without going back to the cold metal up the tiny keisters?" Bush's compromise was morally dubious but allowable from my perspective, being only flawed in principle. I don't care what could be done with the body, human life should not be taken without consent.

I know they aren't the same as cancer cells. I'm thinking along the lines of odd side effects, a tendency to "forget" what they were changed to after about ten years and turn back into fetal neurons or whatever, a subtle distinction between different kinds of stem cells we've failed to notice that will occasionally cause horrific autoimmune disorders in a small percentage of subjects for some insane reason, stuff like that. We need to know what we're working with and how it works, in great detail, before we apply it to human medicine.
                        1011 1100

Comment

Hmm, let's see...

Use of inventon:

Paint: to paint dirty pictures in caves
                          books: to able to write dirty stories
                          Film: to be able to make dirty pictures
                          Internet: to sent both pictures and stories to one another
                          Stemcells: greater boobs

There's a connection there somewhere, just...can't...put my finger on it.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Nah, those who want to get larger breasts deserve to be test experiments.
                            be free

Comment

"Did you know that the government is preventing us from brutally sodomizing little boys with large metal objects for the sake of research that could save lives?
                              Strawman

I don't care what could be done with the body, human life should not be taken without consent.
                              1. Do you know that all these extra embryoes will be flushed down the toilet anyway?

2. Whose consent?
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X