Where Your Money Goes (U.S.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Your Money Goes (U.S.)

These figures are from a line-by-line analysis of detailed tables in the “Analytical Perspectives” book of the Budget of the United States Government, Fiscal Year 2006. The percentages are federal funds, which do not include trust funds — such as Social Security — that are raised and spent separately from income taxes. What you pay (or don’t pay) by April 15, 2005, goes to the federal funds portion of the budget. The government practice of combining trust and federal funds began in the 1960s during the Vietnam War, thus making the human needs portion of the budget seem larger and the military portion smaller.

“Current military” includes Dept. of Defense ($427 billion), the military portion from other departments ($106 billion), anticipated “supplemental allowance” ($25 billion), and an unbudgetted estimate of supplemental appropriations ($85 billion). “Past military” represents veterans’ benefits plus 80% of the interest on the debt. Analysts differ on how much of the debt stems from the military; other groups estimate 50% to 60%. We use 80% because we believe if there had been no military spending most (if not all) of the national debt would have been eliminated. For further explanation, see box at bottom of this page.

Free downloads available! Perfect for Tax Day leafletting, as a focus for forums and panels and workshops and more! The new War Resisters League's famous "pie chart" flyer, Where Your Income Tax Money Really Goes, analyzes the Federal Fiscal Year 2023 Budget (FY 2023 is 1 October 2022 - 30 September 2023. This FY2023 issue was published in March 2022. Each year War Resisters League analyzes federal funds outlays as presented in detailed tables in "Analytical Perspectives" of the Budget of the United States Government. Our analysis is based on federal funds, which do not include trust funds - such as Social Security - that are raised separately from income taxes for specific purposes. What federal income taxes you pay (or don't pay) by April 18, 2023, goes to the federal funds portion of the budget.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Where my money goes?

DOWN THE $40,000 TOILET!!!!
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Someone want to square away how 600 Billion from their numbers is half of our 2.6 Trillion dollar budget?

Ah, now I see, non-discretionary spending is off of that list. Very dishonest of them since the general fund WILL have to pay for all of it, and we are taxed for those programs in any event.

Comment

Interest on the debt is a benefit for the rich. That's one reason why they should pay much more tax.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

The Executive Office of the President is military?

Some of those numbers are whacked. NASA efforts haven't contributed to the military for near a decade. Some DOE nuclear is now supporting NASA. Homeland security isn't military in any sense that I know the word.

I'm not sure what is meant by "international security." Retirment pay should go in past military instead of current military. Next year's war supplemental is just a SWAG by this group.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
            Someone want to square away how 600 Billion from their numbers is half of our 2.6 Trillion dollar budget?
            Social Security and Medicare are paid for out of their own taxes.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

First off, not quite: They will both go negative in about 2 decades, and there is no cash in the trust fund, just government treasury notes.

Second: Do they tax space aliens for those two? No they tax us.

Comment

Working...
              X