• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ Man Charged with Public Nudity Arrives at Court... Naked

Hilarious:

Protester on indecent exposure charge arrives at court naked

17.02.05 1.00pm

An environmental protester charged with indecent exposure arrived for his appearance at Auckland District Court today naked.

Simon Oosterman, 24, a computer technician, was charged during the Auckland Naked Bike Ride last Sunday, an event he organised to protest against society's dependence on the car.

After Oosterman was stopped by police, the rest of the riders covered up the lower parts of their bodies to avoid arrest.

Today, Oosterman and three supporters, two males and a female, stood outside the couthouse naked and bearing a banner that read: "Stop indecent exposure to vehicle emissions".

He then went inside and headed up the escalator, still naked, to the courtrooms.

He got dressed before entering court, where he pleaded not guilty and was remanded on bail to reappear on March 21.

Outside court, Oosterman said he would be fighting the charge, arguing that public nudity was different from indecent exposure.

"The purpose of the protest was to draw attention to the issue of transport emissions," he said, noting that the Kyoto Protocol on greenhouse gases came into force yesterday.

"There has to be a distinction between people flashing young girls and public nudity, which is benign."

Oosterman said he had decided to get dressed before going into the courtroom because he didn't want to risk being charged with contempt of court.

"The police actually sent a senior sergeant from the police station and he saw me go up the escalator," he said. "He told me he was grateful I got dressed at the top."

Oosterman added that he had received plenty of support over his stand.

There had been emails from around the world after news of his arrest, and today there were plenty of thumbs up from passers-by.

"The people at the court thought it was funny too," he said. "Most people supported it. Not one person said anything negative."

Oosterman has protested nude in public before, over genetic engineering.

- NZPA

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
    Last edited by Agathon; February 17, 2005, 09:36.
    Only feebs vote.

There had been emails from around the world after news of his arrest, and today there were plenty of thumbs up from passers-by.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Thumbs up what?
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

creepy
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Are you ashamed of the human body, Sava?

I bet you would have cheered had this been an attractive female.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
              Are you ashamed of the human body, Sava?
              the male version, yes

I bet you would have cheered had this been an attractive female.
              absolutely... because women are hot and men are not
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Geez, it reminds me it must be the heart of summer down there. How I wish I could be there...
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                  Thumbs up what?
                  His Kiwi brain drain.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Geez, it reminds me it must be the heart of summer down there. How I wish I could be there...
                    Wanna swap?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      Not in Auckland.

They haven't finished it yet.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

public nudity should never be an issue that big. It should be fined max 50 euros if there's nastiness involved. Other than that, offended people can get a life. I'm offended by them being offended, they must pay to me now. Haha. Perfect.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Pic?
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

haha you wish, its a family site etc
                            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

For job at IBM, you get my Sexy Series including nude posing, fantasy dressing and Sports Series.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X