Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Emperor Fabulous goes to Switzerland!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Emperor Fabulous goes to Switzerland!!!

(maybe)

I just got some good news tonight. I have two possible ways to go on a Spring Break trip to Switzerland, both through relatives and completely free to me. If they are willing to get me a ticket (one pair offered me a ticket to anywhere after highschool graduation, the other offered me frequent flyer miles), then I should be off by March 3rd.

I'll be going with two of my fraternity brothers, one who lives in Ochlenberg (the other, like me, is a greedy, greedy American). We'll be staying free of charge in his house, without having to pay for meals.

Of course...we will have to pay for extra-curricular activities (namely, getting ****faced). We'll have someone there to guide us, but from personal experience, getting opinions from those who've visited a place are better than those of natives.

What should we do, on a reasonable budget? I should be bringing between 250-400 dollars (300-475 Swiss Francs?) for a 10 day stay...I would think that should be enough to experience all that CH has to offer (probably on the lower end of that scale, of course...but should I bring more?). My sister is staying in East Germany right now...would it be expensive to go visit her for a day?

I've never been to Europe before, and I want to (reasonably) experience all that I can on half a month's rent. Please, your advice would be much appreciated.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

ill tell you what, switzerland is frightfully expensive. good thing meals and housing is free. The german part is alright. Youve got your cows, chocolate, banks, yoddelers and knicken-pant thingies i forget what theyre called.
    berne is alright, spent a few days there in the summer. the french part, specifically Geneva, is way better tho. more international, more cosmopolitan, more european feel to it.
    good places to visit would be Interlaken (tourist spot.) thats further east. also Mt. Cervin (known in german as the Matterhorn) is quite a site (but expensive) Also Lac Leman (lake geneva) is quite an impressive view when you drive long the e25, and its free too.
    ochlenberg itself is a small village, pretty far from Berne, there will prolly have lots of old houses, and chalets (swiss german style) and stuff.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; February 16, 2005, 02:16.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Re: Re: The Emperor Fabulous goes to Switzerland!!!

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Indeed! I hear that the DDR can be a more difficult nation to get into
      Watch out for the spy network and especially the women's swim team!!!
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

LoA: Thanks. We will probably be heading to Bern for a day or two. I'm not entirely sure of the itinery, but its pretty open ended. How hard (or easy) is it to travel cross-boarder? I'm really looking for the best way to increase my cultural experience and become a better member of the world community.

Oh...and where's the best place to meet da ladiez?

Tass and Striker: You guys laugh all you want. My sister's marrying a 19-year-old neo-Nazi steel worker from East Germany...that's really the only way to describe him. The joke's on me.
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Man that sucks!

How did she get into that mess???
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

EF, you want me to whoop his azz???

Comment

She doesn't go into the sun much...

That's half the reason I'm going...to check this situation out

Comment

he probably sang her a song... you know those german's with their damn hypnotic l;yrics!
                Monkey!!!

Comment

And you better watch out...if you don't join the party, they'll come get you!

Comment

LoA: Thanks. We will probably be heading to Bern for a day or two. I'm not entirely sure of the itinery, but its pretty open ended. How hard (or easy) is it to travel cross-boarder? I'm really looking for the best way to increase my cultural experience and become a better member of the world community.
                    the border with france is a joke. they pretty much wave you through as long as you dont look suspicious. you guys wont have swiss passports, so they might check you a little more closely. theyll ask some questions, as long as you are truthful, and not smuggling drugs theres no problem.

ive never gone across the border to germany, but i imagine its the same thing (both EU, both will have similar border procesdures with switzerland.

for female company, anywhere in geneva at night along lac leman or the rhone, and at the clubs. in berne, i cant say, i wasnt there long enough. berne is kinda in the middle of nowhere, but it shouldnt be a problem, it just might take a little longer. In ochlenberg, youll prolly have a problem, because in those small communes, its usually majority old and retirees. your buddy in ochlenberg should be familiar with berne (i cant see him spending a majorty of his time there, unless this is not your typical frat)

the drinking age in switzerland is 16 i think. there is also a very old law (still on the books but application is iffy) that every place that serves food/ soup, has an obligation to serve you a pitcher of water and the soup of the day for free. if you ever run low on money, you can try that.

also, there are lots of signs warning you not to drink and drive. i would take the advice. they were cracking down the last time i was there. you never know, sometimes they dont care, other times they do.

also, the radio stations report where the police have set speed traps (people call in.) when in the french part, RSR (radio suisse romande) is a pretty good bet. the germans have DRS (a whole bunch of them) which are pretty good. again, i rarely saw cops when i was there, but you dont want to run into problems when you arnt a citizen and dont live there.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                      She doesn't go into the sun much...

That's half the reason I'm going...to check this situation out
                      Good luck man.

Comment

if youre going all the way to east germany, train might be a good bet. you can get student discounts, weekly eurorail passes, etc, that are good for most of europe.

edit: btw, ive applied to go study abroad in switzerland next year from sept to june. saves lots of money for us, and i might even catch a world cup game or two.
                        Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; February 16, 2005, 03:06.

Comment

canton de genève
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm really looking for the best way to increase my cultural experience and become a better member of the world community.
                            but from personal experience, getting opinions from those who've visited a place are better than those of natives.
                            And this is why you will fail.

Comment

Re: The Emperor Fabulous goes to Switzerland!!!

Originally posted by The Emperor
                              What should we do, on a reasonable budget? I should be bringing between 250-400 dollars (300-475 Swiss Francs?) for a 10 day stay...
                              400 sounds good.

My sister is staying in East Germany right now...would it be expensive to go visit her for a day?
                              Yes, I think so. At least if you go by train and don't know the price system. It will also take some time to get there...
                              Where does she live exactly?
                              Last edited by kronic; February 16, 2005, 13:49.

Comment

Working...
                              X