Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Court overrules UK in the McLibel case

I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Hello. And welcome. To McSpotlight. The biggest, loudest, most red, most read Anti-McDonald's extravaganza the world has ever seen. Anything you could possibly want to know about McDonald's or McLibel nestles somewhere in our 21,000 files. Don't get us wrong, though, we're not telling you to give up your Big Macs. We just provide the info for you to judge for yourself.

whodunnit McSpotlight is constructed by the McInformation Network, an independent network of volunteers working from 16 countries. Email us, if you like, or join the Mailing list to get all the latest news.

McSpotlight opened for non-business in Feb 1996 and now gets well over a million hits a month. We like to claim that we've had the most press coverage of any website in the world ever, which may well be true. And the most awards, which almost certainly isn't.

It all started with the McLibel Trial. Of which much, much, much, much, much more.

and why. Yes, we appreciate that McDonald's only sell hamburgers and loads of other corporations are just as bad. But that's not the point. They have been used as a symbol of all multinationals and big business relentlessly pursuing their profits at the expense of anything that stands in their way.

McDonald's were chosen for this dubious honour because a) everyone's heard of them, b) they're bullies who threaten legal action on almost anyone who dares criticise them, c) there's stacks of in-depth information available about them (thanks to the research that's gone into the McLibel Trial), d) the nature of their business means loads of contemporary issues are relevant, e) they pioneered various unwelcome practices which other companies have followed and f) they take themselves far too seriously.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Regardless of the merits of the case -- or lack therof, I know nothing of it -- the larger question is, should nations give over authority in internal matters to supernational entities?
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

McVictory!
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
          Regardless of the merits of the case -- or lack therof, I know nothing of it -- the larger question is, should nations give over authority in internal matters to supernational entities?
          Yes.
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I always told you guys that British libel laws were bad . I wonder how the Brits respond to this, because IIRC, there were some Brits here defending the burden of proof being on the accused.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Death to the right wing McBastards!!
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                Death to the right wing McBastards!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                  Why not? The key word there is give. We gave the European court of Human Rights the ability to overrule domestic legal decisions when we signed up to it, its not like the authority is being imposed on us or we've had our legal rights stolen.

And just to cut anyone off before they mention the EU. The European Court of Human Rights isn't a part of the EU, it's a part of the Council of Europe. The European Union's highest court is the European Court of Justice, an entirely different beast altogether.
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Mmmm, free chicken strips.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      Mmmm, free chicken strips.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Stupid McDonald's website, doesn't have their promo on it.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

the main implication of this decision is that people fighting libel actions should have access to legal aid. personally i don't think an awful lot of libel claimants and defendents should get anywhere near legal aid, and these jokers certainly shouldn't.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Well they were sued (and so it would seem incorrectly) and if they do not have the funds to defend themselves then they should be given legal aid.

Another example of how the anti-EU camp are just full of bullsh*t...a lot of the EU stuff is far more proactive in terms of human rights than our own, yet they are classed by the Tories et al as 'meddling in our affairs'...the affairs of big businesses rights to shaft us over? An example of nationalism being used to shepherd the stupid...
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well said, that Provost. The Libel courts have been the playground of the rich for too long.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                              X