It was only a matter of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was only a matter of time

"VIENNA (AFX) - A group of Austrian and German victims of the Asian tsunami disaster are to file a lawsuit demanding that Thailand, French hotel chain Accor (Paris: FR0000120404 - news) and US forecasters prove they reacted adequately to the disaster, their lawyers said.
    The suit, naming Accor and the US-run tsunami early warning system in the Pacific as well as Thai authorities, will be filed in a New York district court this week, the lawyers said in Vienna.

'We found that serious lapses were committed,' said Herwig Hasslacher, one of the three lawyers for the group."

So lets see: Our warning buoys in the pacific are supposed to detect events in the indian ocean BEFORE they hit the immediate area. Our NOAA is supposed to go into other countries and build early warning infrastructure,etc.

The article also reports that the death toll is now 300k.

Somewhere, someone's "Gives a **** " just broke. Again.
    What?

Comment

you beat me to it, though the thread title isn't very descriptive. .

It's obvious there were some screw ups. But lets be realistic, there was no system in place where american scientists were required to alert certain officials (they certainly tried). No procedure of who exactly to alert. and the fact taht tsunamis in the Indian ocean are rare, there was no alarm system. How could the hotels do anything?

Comment

Thailand probably had no chance, but someone should definately have warned Sri Lanka and India.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Next thing you know people are going to sue some temple for displeasing the gods.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

There seems to've been a failure of communication in Thailand, for which presumably someone is to blame, but blaming the tsunami-warning system for the Pacific seems entirely bizarre.

Communications didn't work in Somalia either, despite the comparably very long time they had to get them out, but I suppose that's a special case.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Ok, I can understand Thailand being sued since it occured in Thailand, I can even understandi suing the hotel since they were staying there, but why are they suing the US? It's not like the US controls what happens in the north Indian ocean.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's not like the US controls what happens in the north Indian ocean.

Glad to see you're sticking to the approved story, Oerdin...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Haven't you heard about their secret earthquake machine?
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Quiet you!!!
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      Ok, I can understand Thailand being sued since it occured in Thailand, I can even understandi suing the hotel since they were staying there, but why are they suing the US? It's not like the US controls what happens in the north Indian ocean.
                      this is true, but the fact is scientists in the U.S. did detect the quake, and tried to warn officials. I forgot where I read that, but it was detected. But it's not the scientists fault if no one would answer their phone, or pay attention to their warnings. Under the present system, they did all they could do.

Comment

It's Shrub's fault. He didn't treat the Indo-Australian plate with the respect it deserves.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

weren't some people blaming the U.S. for doing secret tests on the floor of the ocean?

we can always blame the navy.

Comment

Yes there were. Reportedly, such beliefs are pretty common in Aceh.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                              Haven't you heard about their secret earthquake machine?
                              Its not really ours, its more of a joint partnership between us, the Indians, and the jews.

Comment

Working...
                              X