Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the only way to be sure.

And now, for my mantra:

We really, really need to get off this rock.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I already posted this in the asteroid thread

Comment

So we're all going to die*, what's the big deal?

*If they calculated wrong and it hits anyway...
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

We really, really need to get off this rock.
          If we = rightwingers, then

Seriously though...do they have certain other calculations? Like...if its passing between us and the moon, could it hit the moon? How many satellites, especially in 24 years, will it destroy? What if it hits another asteroid in the meantime?

Hrm...I guess I should remember the immortal words of Doug Adams...
          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Earth people are stupid. Throw rocks at them

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
              If it is going to pass so close to Earth, how can they be sure it will miss? Just a slight nudge could put it on a collision course. Of course, a slight nudge could also move it even further away from Earth.
              Sure they could probably launch a few things at it to give it a nudge to make it crash but whats the point?
              and what else in space is going to give it a nudge?
              Thats the thing about those kind of calculations...
              You use Newtons gravity (or einstein if needed) and consider all close enough bodies and there you go, incredible prediction power.

Comment

If it gets close enough, the earth will grab it and turn it into a small natural satellite.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yep, a long-term prediction in a system as nonlinear as this ain't gonna be very accurate.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

36,000 km... that's about 3 times the Earth's diameter.

How close would one have to get at typical asteroid velocity to be captured into orbit?
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

2GM/v2 where M is the mass of earth and v is the asteroid's speed.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Orbital mechanics are such that actual captures are extremely are -- if they weren't, all the planets would have significant rings.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I knew this was a spam thread!!!!!!!!

I agree with MM, orbital captures are rare...
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Bastard! Your selfishness will destroy us all!

I'd do the same.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                              Orbital mechanics are such that actual captures are extremely are -- if they weren't, all the planets would have significant rings.
                              Orbital decay also makes things more complicated.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X