No announcement yet.

Bush's deficits and the coming crunch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government paper is one of the 5 funds available.

Foreign markets are important for diversification, although I would suggest that because of the circumstances of the US, the companies in the domestic fund would give adequate coverage to overseas markets. Maybe it's different with Canada.

Not sure about income trusts. There is a bond index fund that is part of Bush's plan, so that probably would cover it more than adequately.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Bond market != income trust
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Oops. There is an international fund available under Bush's plan, which is already time-tested with government workers.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• The point is that the real world is complex. Drawing five categories and allowing people to put their money in one or some combination thereof is a ****ty compromise solution.

You get some diversity and some growth.

Well-managed funds can be both safer and higher-yield.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• So one of the "indices" available is actually...a managed government fund?

Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Yes, the real world is complex. No doubt about it. But a government fund is a tricky beast. They have worked in other places. They have also failed in other places. Index funds are damn near fullproof.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                So one of the "indices" available is actually...a managed government fund?

The choices that the managers are making are really quite small. It's a matter of buying a short-term US T-Bill. Hardly rocket science. And hardly any discretion.

The Thrift Savings Plan is really the gold standard in all of this. It is battle-tested.

Comment

• Even the best performer out of the 5 TCP funds over the last 5 years fails to match the CPP investment fund's return.

A couple of the rest aren't even keeping up with inflation.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• A couple of the rest aren't even keeping up with inflation.
                    Which ones are those?

Comment

• 5 year, Dan.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Look at the 10 year. They're all well above inflation.

Are you playing games with the numbers by only looking at the 5 year returns, or something?

Comment

• I know. I'm using 5 year because the CPP investment board didn't exist more than 6 years ago.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Yeh, well, that's pretty lame. It's taking one of the 5 worst year periods in US stock market history.

Comment

• Pfffft.

One of the (or simply the?) first invesment boards designed to meet the needs of a defined-future benefit plan using present contributions through investment in capital markets.

Compare to the US plan, which is to buy index funds.

Good luck with that. Come back and visit me when SS has reached solvency.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Hmmmmm.

Our plan managed to make money in that environment.

Gee, I wonder why I was talking about the problems in an index fund before.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X