No announcement yet.

Bush's deficits and the coming crunch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And finally increased government spending has become a permanent fixture in our economy, growing many times what it was in the 1930s.

I think this spending provides an important buffer and stimulus for the economic fluctuations in the free market economy.

Provided, of course, that it is spent wisely.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• have yet to see any data to that effect. perhaps they are correct, at the extremes (say if the tax rate was at 90% and all the sudden it dropped to 30%.) However, from 34% to 32%, it just doesnt seem likely.
      Prescott's research shows the high elasticity of labor. Income and payroll tax rates on labor will have a substantial impact on whether people choose to work or choose leisure instead.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Secondly the economy DID recover because of increased G. It was when G was reduced, "weaning" as you would say, when things got worse again. This again was in an effort to balance the budget, which meant reduced spending, and a big slowdown of stimulus, which was not recovered from until foreign orders started to show up for WW2.

yeah but thats like losing weight by using pills, and then getting off of it and gaining it all back again. you wouldnt say that the diet works.
        what did work was the war effect. however, in normal times, if there wasnt a war, they couldnt have kept this spending up. since the economy couldnt live without it and one point we would have run outta funds.

And finally increased government spending has become a permanent fixture in our economy, growing many times what it was in the 1930s.
        which is of course unfortunate.

I think this spending provides an important buffer and stimulus for the economic fluctuations in the free market economy
        monetary policy is the only thing needed to keep the economy going. only in rare cases is G needed (when interest rates approach zero, when real interest rates approch zero, and when there is deflation)
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• i dont believe this for minute. someone isnt going to say, "im not going to work cause taxes are too high"
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Prescott's research shows the high elasticity of labor
            really? what is elastic about the demand for labor (from the workers point of view) do you have a link? i would think that it would be rather inelastic (no work, no money, you starve)
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

yeah but thats like losing weight by using pills, and then getting off of it and gaining it all back again. you wouldnt say that the diet works.
              Bottom line is that it worked, first by government spending, then by massive government war spending.

what did work was the war effect. however, in normal times, if there wasnt a war, they couldnt have kept this spending up. since the economy couldnt live without it and one point we would have run outta funds.
              We seem to have done it the past few years with no problem. Plus eventually the private sector would have come back around. In this case it was from the war.

which is of course unfortunate.
              Depends on who you talk to.

monetary policy is the only thing needed to keep the economy going. only in rare cases is G needed (when interest rates approach zero, when real interest rates approch zero, and when there is deflation)
              When you make soup you need more than one ingredient. One ingredient by itself and you have one nasty concoction.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
                Where is all this spending going to come from again?
                Bush's current deficit in his budget is around $400 billion but it doesn't count any money spent in Iraq, Afghanistan, nor emergency supplimental bills (which there are always), nor Bush's Social Security proposals. If those add up to $20 billion I win. Now, Dans has an advantaqge in that last year was an election year so the politicians were spending like mad to get every last penny.

I will never the less continue to have faith in the financial mismanagement of the Republicans. It has always been a good bet in the past.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• The best situation is to have one party in Congress and the other in the White House.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
                    2) The war shouldn't cost more this year than last.
                    Last year it cost $160 billion and Bush has not included any Iraq war expenses in his budget which he has given to Congress.

BTW there is good reason to believe that this year will have more expenses then last year since in most of 2004 we had 100,000 soldiers in Iraq but in the lead up to the elections we had 140,000. Even so Bush's budget doesn't account for any Iraq spending so even if it is the same I have a padding of $100 billion.
                    Last edited by Dinner; February 15, 2005, 21:02.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                      Now why would you think the CBO is incorrect in its forecasts?

Surely, you're nothing more than a Bush apologist.
                      Bush's own numbers say the Deficit will be $427 billion in 2005. He might do better, we will see.

BTW the CBO's forcst for 2004 was $400 billion but Bush & the Republicans came in at $412 billion. If anything the CBO has a history of under estimating the size of deficits. That makes sense since the CBO's job is to make politicians look good.
                      Last edited by Dinner; February 15, 2005, 20:58.

Comment

• Didn't they ask for 80 billion dollars today?

Comment

• Originally posted by korn469
                          Didn't they ask for 80 billion dollars today?
                          Something like that. That's good for my bet but bad for America's deficit. I'm pretty sure DanS will be right about the taxs taken in being $20-$30 billion more then last year but if the war spending continues to outpace income growth I should be a winner. We will see.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

Prescott's research shows the high elasticity of labor. Income and payroll tax rates on labor will have a substantial impact on whether people choose to work or choose leisure instead.
                            What do think people say, "Hey boss payroll taxes are just too high. Call me when they're lower. I think I'll live off my savings for awhile. My wife won't care."

I can't believe you fall for this crap.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Ted Striker

No one will borrow money in a depression LoA. The problem is not shortage of money. The problem is that no one will spend the money that they have.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• I'm pretty sure DanS will be right about the taxs taken in being $20-$30 billion more then last year
                                Perhaps I didn't make myself clear earlier. We are $22 billion ahead of where we were last on the deficit.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X