No announcement yet.

Bush's deficits and the coming crunch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanS, is there anything about this administration you're even slightly disappointed about? Even one thing?

Comment

Bush's record deficits: 400 billion dollars
      Amount of debt accumulated by this admin: 2 Trillion dollars

Watching DanS finish his transformation to complete admin. syncopant: priceless.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

They are highlighting a real issue.
        With these histrionics...

"Shock therapy"
        "cuts are gratuitous"
        "train wreck"
        "trigger"
        "warning sign"
        "sinking"
        "public outcry"
        "angry farmers"
        "rash"
        "disappear"
        "brute force"
        "blind allegiance"
        "fixate"
        "restore some fairness"
        "destroying the budget"

This is just tabloid crap.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

DanS, is there anything about this administration you're even slightly disappointed about? Even one thing?
          Of course. Bush spent too much money. This needs to be remedied and can be remedied.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

And don't forget Zkribbler's First Law of Taxation:

Taxes are not set by tax rates, but by spending rates.
            Borrowing $400,000/year does not get rids of taxes --- it merely propels them into the future to be paid (with interest) by our children and grandchildren. A generation after Reagan's Presidency, we still haven't paid off his borrowing.

Comment

CBO predicts that the unemployment rate remains constant at 5.2 % through 2006. it seems that they believe that 5.2% is the natural rate of unemployment.
              using Okuns law, they also estimate that real GDP growth during the next two years (up to 2007) will only close the output gap, and that new growth in the economy will not start again till after 2008 (where they predict real gdp = potential.) of course, stronger then expected productivity growth might delay the bridging of the gap

output gap is the difference between potential and real gdp, where all resources are not being used.
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Last speech I heard by Al Greenspan said something similar - paraphrased as "either stop spending or raise taxes".

Amazed nobody picked up on it at the time - this was maybe a fortnight ago?
                Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Bush doesn't want to be the big evil badguy that will be reviled throughout history as the guy that raised taxes and did massive( 30% minimum) cuts in every program across the board.

The congress doesn't want to be reviled in that manner either. I can see only one solution: Make me Dictator for a period of 10 years

Comment

total supplemental defense spending has been $200 billion since 9/11. of that, about 11 billion per year has gone to afghanistan, and over $100 billion to iraq.

no war in iraq because iraq posed no threat to america (its called the dept of DEFENSE for a reason) and we've got $100+ billion still in the bank.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

In DanS's world...

If you criticize the admin, you're a partisan hack.

That's called an ad hominem fallacy, DanS. You have no relevant or factual points to make. You don't even attempt to defend the Bush adminstration. You don't make an argument.

In other words... YOU PROVIDE NOTHING, YOU CRIMINAL.

I provide nothing, but at least I don't pretend to.

BTW, Oerdin
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
                        Bush doesn't want to be the big evil badguy that will be reviled throughout history as the guy that raised taxes and did massive( 30% minimum) cuts in every program across the board.

The congress doesn't want to be reviled in that manner either.

Exactly, Taxes must be raised, but if you tell ignorant Joe American the truth about the need to raise taxes you'll be like Mondale in '84.

People want thier government programs but don't want to pay for them because TEH REAGAN SAID TAXES ARE TEH EVIL AND THE REAGAN IS NEVER WRONG!!!

Comment

the CBO estimated that gross federal deficit will continue to grow through 2015, and thats only cuz they only forecast 10 years in advance.

the rates of growth are

04-05: 7.6%
                          05-06: 6.8%
                          06-07: 6.3%
                          07-08: 5.9%
                          08-09: 5.6%
                          09-10: 5.3%
                          10-11: 4.2%
                          11-12: 3.0%
                          12-13: 2.9%
                          13-14: 2.7%
                          14-15: 2.5%

these numbers do not include non discretionary spending (war, homeland security) and are lkely to go up.

i didnt know how bad this was until i crunched the numbers. GDP wise, the deficit will not go down until 2011- 2012 (assuming 3.5% annual growth)

bush is such an idiot that anyone who still supports him is an ignorant anti-intellectual dinosaur who relies on 'what they feel' rather than facts and would rather stick their heads in the sand and shout 'they think they are better than us' then actually learn anything new.

Comment

Re: Bush's deficits and the coming crunch.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            It is a truly informative & objective read
                            Read Oerdin agrees with it.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

the CBO estimated that gross federal deficit will continue to grow through 2015
                              I note that CBO's forecast last year at this time for FY '04 was for a deficit of $477 billion. It ended up at $412 billion, 14% less than forecast.

There is substantial uncertainty in CBO's figures.

Comment

Re: Bush's deficits and the coming crunch.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                The BBCCurrently the US public doesn't have enough capital to cover the government's reckless borrowing so countries like Japan & China have had to finance it.
                                Since interest rates aren't going up much I'd say they have this wrong.

No one should take this that I support Bush fiscal policy of course. I just get sick of everything being about the deficit and especially about the debt. We should be talking about where the money goes. That's the real problem.
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X