X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay communist rebels marry in Phillippines

Gay communist rebels marry in Phillippines

Ross von Metze
    gMax.co.za (a South African gay news site)
    February 8, 2005

MANILA, Philippines — Two communist rebels have become the first same-sex couple to marry under the New People’s Army, exchanging wedding vows on a rainy afternoon in the Philippine jungle and officiated by the Communist Party of the Philippines.

Ka Andres and Ka Jose, who each use the mane “brother” before their names, married draped in a red flag with hammer and sickle in gold sequins. They exchanged vows under an archway of assault rifles and were serenaded with revolutionary love songs by a choir of New People's Army comrades.

"What we have to do now, with the help of the party, is to work on our marriage and to be strong while serving the people," Jose said as reported by Reuters. At 21 years old, Jose is 33 years Andres’ junior.

Homosexuality is largely shunned in the Philippines, where stereotypes of effeminate men are strongly reinforced in the media. The communist movement has been more progressive.

In 1995, the CPP's Southern Mindanao Regional Party Committee started to discuss gay rights in the movement. In 1998, a provision on gay relations and same-sex marriage was added to the CPP's guiding policy on relations contained in a document titled, "On the Proletarian Relationship of Sexes (OPRS)."

Still, Jose and Andres said they ran into the "patriarchal" culture of the Philippines when they decided to marry.

"We conducted painstaking discussions to make comrades understand gay relations and gay rights," Andres said

Link

Maybe I'll forward this to the leaders of the Communist government where I live.

Happy Valentines Day!

Oh ... and Viva la Revolution!
    Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Ben Kenobi will love this thread.
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

it's all the leftie things bagged into one!
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
          Almost! It wasn't an inter-racial marriage, apparently neither guy was disabled, and there was no mention of the environment.

Still, not bad!
          Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

They exchanged vows under an archway of assault rifles
            Too bad there aren't any pictures with the article.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
              The Phil press went nuts with this story. If only one of the gay commies had been a Muslim; that would have won the Philippine Fear-and-Loathing Trifecta!
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                The communist movement has been more progressive

It always is
                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                Middle East!

Comment

It's not?

Nah, modern-day Poland's no different from other European countries - and in the past we've been better in this respect many times.
                  Middle East!

Comment

This story'll make Fez so confused
                    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
                      Almost! It wasn't an inter-racial marriage, apparently neither guy was disabled, and there was no mention of the environment.
                      And animal rights. Don't forget animal rights
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I hope people wouldn't start thining anything good about communist rebels there. Democracy is more important than homosexual marriages
                        Middle East!

Comment

Communist gay rebel marriage

"Democracy is more important than homosexual marriages"
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X

"Democracy is more important than homosexual marriages"
                            Middle East!

Comment

Explain to me how we can have democracy if we don´t allow gay people to have the same rights as heterosexual people?

Bigots
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X