No announcement yet.

Bringing computers in Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, and with that switch the plug turns into compatible plug in European ones? Like I said, I'm the only expert in this thread right now.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
      Right, and with that switch the plug turns into compatible plug in European ones?
      No, but who cares?

Power cords are a dime a dozen.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Which makes quite a lot of sense
        Until you realize most of the computers are made in Asia and the only thing changing is the size of the companiy's profits.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I meant that Canadian prices are pegged roughly to American prices.

Comment

UR, listen buddy, he has asked if the adapter comes as an addition to the cord, because it weights 1 gram more, so hell yes it matters, stop being such a jerk I'm providing important information to a person who is asking help, and all you can do is say the same thing I said over again and then confuse him and come up with that language that is offensive and racist.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Yeah if you use 110 which I think you do, you need an adapter that transforms it into 220.. those cost like under 20 bucks. That's all you need and you're set. So you need those both for your desktop and for your laptop. If you want to have them turned on at the same time.
              I think it will work much better if he gets an adapter that converts 220 Volt into 110, otherwise I think funny things happen when he plugs up here in europe

Experts ! hah, dont trust them
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

UR beat me to it, but look at the back of the computer and see if there is a little switch on the power supply, somewhere near where it plugs in. If not, you can also pick up a replacement power supply with a dual setting at multiple locations (for between $20-50 US), including

www.isellsurplus.com or at TigerDirect. Make sure it's the right type and has enough wattage - post your processor here and we'll help I'm sure, or ask a geek friend. Then switch it out, it's a little tedious but can be done. Use the adapter for your monitor, unless shipping makes it cheaper to obtain in France.

For inexpensive laptops, go to www.xpbargains.com or www.techbargains.com

Make absolutely sure you get one that has either a Nvidia or Radeon video chip, the Intel sets are utter drek and useless for games. Good luck.
                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Pekka, you are one crazy dude
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The ac adaptors that come with most laptops already convert either 220/50 or 110/60 to DC. All he needs is a plug converter to get the correct pins. If he has a switchable PS on his desktop all he needs is a french power cord.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Depends. Most new power supplies have a switch in the back for 110V and 220V. So OB should check that first.
                      Quite correct. You might not need a new PSU at all for your desktop. If the PSU does not have such a 110/220 volt switch, it WILL need a new PSU.

Originally posted by SpencerH

The ac adaptors that come with most laptops already convert either 220/50 or 110/60 to DC. All he needs is a plug converter to get the correct pins. If he has a switchable PS on his desktop all he needs is a french power cord.
                      Also correct. Check the laptops power box before you buy it.

Convertors to change the physical plug difference between US and Europe (or indeed, anywhere in the world) might even be included with the laptop as well. If not, these are easy enough to obtain separately in Europe.
                      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

YEs Let's say what Pekka has said already 100 times more. Yes yes yes yes.
                        In da butt.

Comment

@ Pekka

and thanks to other people too
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

YEs Let's say what Pekka has said already 100 times more. Yes yes yes yes.
                            Pekkas right, I can't believe this question has dragged on so long....it's really not that complicated

Comment

Working...
                            X