Bringing computers in Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing computers in Europe?

Question: I'm going on a student exchange in France next year (right now I live in Canada). Do I need a new power supply for my desktop?

Also, can a laptop bought in America/Canada be used on European electricity? Do I need to buy a new adapter or worse, a new laptop?
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

AFAIK, all European countries use 220 volts, so I guess you will have to buy a transformer.
    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

A link that may help you: http://www.starkelectronic.com/st500.htm
      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Yeah if you use 110 which I think you do, you need an adapter that transforms it into 220.. those cost like under 20 bucks. That's all you need and you're set. So you need those both for your desktop and for your laptop. If you want to have them turned on at the same time.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Question: I'm going on a student exchange in France next year (right now I live in Canada). Do I need a new power supply for my desktop?
          Yep. desktop's are not "bivoltés" (pardon my french, but Oncle Boris understands) like laptops's, so you have to convert it. If you have a laptop, better leave your desktop at home.

Also, can a laptop bought in America/Canada be used on European electricity? Do I need to buy a new adapter or worse, a new laptop?
          Yep, that's what I did. Laptop's were made to travel after all. You just have to buy an adapter for the power plug. So no, you don't have to buy a new laptop, just cheap 3$ adapters. Keep your money for the wine!
          Last edited by Nostromo; February 13, 2005, 16:45.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

OK, so does the adapter replace the current power plug, or it is added on top of it (thus adding slightly on weight and restraining portability)?

Not a big deal of course, but I'd rather know.

Comment

it adds to it.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

You just plug the current power plug in the adapter and voilà, you're all set. They're not heavy: it's a plastic plug, except the pins are different.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

nostromo, wanna play repeater?

YOU BASTARD STOP SAYING WHAT I'M SAYING! IF I'm first, then you say 'Oh yes, Pekka is again correct in his omnipotent wisdom'. That's all.

He-he-he-HEY! She's a SUPERFREAK!, SUPERFREAK YOWW!
                  In da butt.

Comment

Yeah, so it's decision, decision... do I buy a laptop here or there? (I don't have it yet...)

Comment

I have one of those global power adapter thingies, for vacations and stuff. It's a scary-looking device with pins coming out in all directions, but it's quite small (not much bigger then a regular power plug). You put it between the plug and the power socket. It's supposed to be compatible with any power system in the world (and it has yet let me down). I've only ever used them for small devices such as electric razors and radios, but there's no reason why it wouldn't work for a PC.

Didn't cost me more than a few bucks. I'm sure similar devices are available for US power plugs. Check with your local hardware store.
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I'm sorry to have angered you, glorified leader. Of course, that goes without saying, the supercitizen is again correct in his omnipotent wisdom.

Comment

Local hardware stores probably do not have them. I've never seen one and I've been in a lot of hardware stores.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Yeah, so it's decision, decision... do I buy a laptop here or there? (I don't have it yet...)
                            Here, of course. First of all, computers are very expensive in France. They obviously don't want people to buy computers. Second, you'll buy it in euros, so it will be even more expensive. Third, french keyboards are AZERTY, its takes a while to get used to.

Comment

Local hardware stores probably do not have them. I've never seen one and I've been in a lot of hardware stores.
                              They're easy to find here.

Comment

Working...
                              X