Firefox help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox help

I made a new post, and for some reason it froze up. I had another window open and that was frozen as well. I shut the windows down and then opened up a new one, it said the profile I had was already in use, so I created a new profile, but of course that doesn't have all my bookmarks and preferences. I restarted my computer, but it still doesn't give me the option of using the default profile.

I can't find a way to change back to the default profile. Anyone have any ideas? Yeah I know, I should have updated it to the new version, I'm lazy about updating. I can't see a way to do it under tools.

Get into taskmanager under processes and end firefox, then start it up again...
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Nevermind... I didn't see that you have tried to restart your computer... I have been in a situation like that before and usually the above helps...
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

damn, I searched all the help files, and the tabs up at the top, and can't find a way to change my profile back.

I really hate to go back to internet explorer. I'm just not sure I trust firefox now. screwing up like this.

Comment

Backup your Firefox profile directory, check if it (the original profile directory) has a file named "lock" and if it does, delete that file.
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

... sorry, wrong problem. Try starting "firefox -ProfileManager" in... um... whatever the dialog for running programs in Windows is called.
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

yeah I found info about profile manager here

I just can't get the program ro run

Comment

Had this problem once or twice...

this come from this page on the mozilla knowledge database

Via the -ProfileManager Switch

You can also get to the Profile Manager by launching Mozilla (or Firefox or Thunderbird) with the "-ProfileManager" switch. This is useful in cases such as a corrupted profile which prevents you from launching normally. On Microsoft Windows, you can just go to Start -> Run and type:

* %ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -ProfileManager
                * %ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe -ProfileManager
                * %ProgramFiles%\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe -ProfileManager

For Firefox, Thunderbird, and Mozilla Suite respectively in a typical installation.

On Microsoft Windows, and possibly on Linux, you will need to place the path in quotation marks ("%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" or "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -ProfileManager, for example) if you have a space in the path (such as the one in "Mozilla Firefox").

On Mac OS X, to access the Profile Manager, go into your Terminal and run (replace "Mozilla" with whatever Mozilla application you are trying to access):

/Applications/Mozilla.app/Contents/MacOS/mozilla -ProfileManager
                Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

whew, got it working. It would help if I read the directions a little more carefully (had to shut down all my open windows- I had several open).

It seems to be working. I'm not sure why my original profile stopped working though. . it's working now though.

now is a good time to backup my bookmarks in some way. I don't want to lose them. I already have my old ones backed up in internet explorer, but I have many new ones.

P.S. I was just kidding about going back to inernet explorer. I'd rather kill myself than go back to internet explorer.

Comment

And now, upgrade to the newest version .
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                      It seems to be working. I'm not sure why my original profile stopped working though. .
                      Firefox locks a profile it thinks that's in use.

If FF crashes, the lock* file would still be in that profile, and you can't use it. So the most direct way of fixing the problem is to go into the profile and remove the lock file.

* It is called "lock" under Linux, so I am presuming it's called the same thing under Windows.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Anyone know if there is a way to start the profile manager with a link that you can create or just any way other than typing it in the run command
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                          Anyone know if there is a way to start the profile manager with a link that you can create or just any way other than typing it in the run command
                          You can always create an icon and associate with the command.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                            And now, upgrade to the newest version .
                            can't too busy playing kotor 2.

Comment

I also have a small problem with Firefox. It royally ****s up when I try to view .mpeg clips. It´s the same if I try to download the clips or just click on them. What happens is that Firefox opens new tabs endlessly and can´t be shut down. The only solution is to reboot. If I open the dowloaded clips using the "open with..." Media Player opens, but says it´s a corrupt file. wtf is that all about?

It works allright in IE
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X