• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veggie Gas

The Ottawa Sun

Fri, June 4, 2004

Just veg out to beat high gas costs
    By AP

WESTON, CONN. -- As car owners grapple with pumped-up gas prices, some are turning to their favourite restaurants for a solution: Recycled vegetable oil. Environmentalists with diesel cars have used vegetable oil for years as an alternative fuel to cut back on sooty emissions, but as gas prices soar to more than $2 a gallon, they say their "veggie cars" are a great way to save cash.

More than $2 US a gallon works out to about 53cents a litre, or about 72cents Cdn a litre.

'ZIP AROUND TOWN'

Every two weeks, Etta Kantor drives to a local Chinese restaurant to fuel her blue Volkswagen Jetta. She calls ahead and the owner puts aside a few buckets of used oil for her. At home, Kantor uses a colander and a bag filter to remove water and any food particles.

The vegetable oil is then poured into a 56-litre tank in the back of her Jetta, where a spare tire would usually be kept.

With a touch of a button located above the radio, Kantor can switch from diesel fuel to vegetable oil in seconds.

"Oh, I zip around town, go fast on highways. It's not any different," said Kantor, 58, of Weston.

Restaurants that would have to pay to get rid of their old vegetable oil are happy to give it away for free. "It saves us a couple of dollars and it helps to save the environment a bit so I thought, 'Why not?' " said Shawn Reilly, a co-owner of Eli's On Whitney, a restaurant in Hamden.

Reilly estimates it costs as much as $60 a month to have the oil removed otherwise.

Bridgeport resident Aaron Schlechter says he picks up about 110 or 150 litres twice a month from Eli's.

He uses it to fuel his car for his 270-km commute every day to his job as an environmental consultant in Staten Island, N.Y.

BUYING IN BULK

"The only way that I can assuage my guilt by driving this awful distance is by driving something that isn't consuming fossil fuels and has much more environmentally friendly emissions," Schlechter said.

Vegetable oil is becoming so popular that a Massachusetts company called Greasecar is buying it in bulk from a distributor and selling it to local customers.

It's priced at about 24cents a litre, said company founder Justin Carven.

Since 2001, Greasecar has also been selling conversion kits, like the one in Kantor's car, that allow diesel cars to run on the recycled oil.

About 200 kits were sold in the past year, Carven said. A standard conversion kit sells for $800 at Greasecar.

"Once you install it, though, you are saving hundreds and hundreds of dollars," Carven said. "The product usually pays for itself within the first year."

Veggie Gas Homepage

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but a search of the forums came up empty.

I like the idea of low emmision fuels.
    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

This is not a new idea. I've read an article waaay back (I think it was mid 90's, I do remember that I had no Internet back then and thus read news, articles and thingies from RL newspapers) about how a Finnish guy had built engines which could be used with vegetable oil and thus escaped high gas prices (about 1$/l back then). After that the goverment had found about it and sentenced (not probation, that is reserved to serial rapists here) him to jail for escaping gas taxes (this was the core point of the article, it really didn't go in-depth with the way how engine worked).

Comment

That is a little surreal.

Just because vegatable oil fueled cars isn't a new idea, doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Fossil-fuel oil isn't getting any cheaper.
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Pretty cool.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Well, those Finns sure are evil.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Ithought this was about vegeterrians having mroe gas than most...

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I really did come to this thread thinking it was a thread about getting gas from eating vegetables.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                Ithought this was about vegeterrians having mroe gas than most...

JM

See this site for help with that problem.

Comment

This is good news.

The ironic part of all of this is the following:

The inventor of the diesel engine, Mr. Diesel himself, originally designed the diesel engine to run on many different kinds of fuels, plant oils being one of them.

His actual preferred source of fuel??

PEANUT OIL

And the crazy part of this is that this option has been available for over 100 years.
                  Last edited by Ted Striker; February 13, 2005, 19:32.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Makes very good sense, especially if we are integrating our fuels into the carbon cycle which organic oils most certainly are...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

We should hook up a fuel respository to the loo.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I could power turbines
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Comment

Google under the term "biodiesel," you'll find a bunch of resources.

There's actually an official site for the stuff.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I doubt that biodiesel is a panacea (for example diesel fuel gels in cold weather) but one has to wonder why we continue to 'step lightly' around the oil producing nations when there is a viable alternative already in use (not old cooking oil BTW).
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X