The firebombing of Dresden - 60 year anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ned
    NYE, as I said. There were exceptions. They joined with the Brits at their request to destroy certain cities. Among them were Hamburg, Cologne and Berlin. Still, I understand that our own command were more than reluctant to participate in such actions, as clearly the targets were not strictly military.

Very telling on this issue was the extreme embarrasment the administration felt when news of Dresden reached the American public. Also consider that when Truman annouced the use of the first atomic bomb, he said it had been dropped on a "military base."

Attacks on civilians went against everything America was purportedly fighting for. While we did it, we did it reluctantly and without public fanfare, and with ruses and disguises so that the truth would not leak to the American public.

The usual crap, Ned.

It was all the Brits fault, he says, and look, nary a factually supported statement or assertion in sight.

Attacks on civilians went against everything America stood for?

Really?

So what happened in the war against the Filipinos was just a minor aberration, then, and completely unlike America's wars against the Indians ?

You should have your own comedy show.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
      NYE, as I said. There were exceptions. They joined with the Brits at their request to destroy certain cities. Among them were Hamburg, Cologne and Berlin. Still, I understand that our own command were more than reluctant to participate in such actions, as clearly the targets were not strictly military.

Very telling on this issue was the extreme embarrasment the administration felt when news of Dresden reached the American public. Also consider that when Truman annouced the use of the first atomic bomb, he said it had been dropped on a "military base."

Attacks on civilians went against everything America was purportedly fighting for. While we did it, we did it reluctantly and without public fanfare, and with ruses and disguises so that the truth would not leak to the American public.
      Go and see a doctor, they have techniques to prize that head from your rectum...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
      X