No announcement yet.

Male brain "clocks higher" then female brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This study doesn't mean anything. For starters, it's published in some journal named Intelligence, not Nature, Science, Lancet or a host of other more well known ones. Secondly, the researchers only measured the activation of the visual cortex. Finally, the brain works asynchronously and in parallel, so this measurement probably doesn't mean anything.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Interesting of you to think that the fact that men spend thousands of hours to learn complex games and their strategy which have no true positive impact on their RL proves that they're somehow smarter than others...

Yes.

Comment

Perhaps I should've added "bother to" between "men" and "spend". In case you didn't get it: my point was that you could also easily argue that guys who spend huge amounts of their time on becoming 'the best' in playing games (like say, poker variants, chess, civ2) are the ultimate morons since they waste their precious lifetime in a completely useless activity.

Comment

And it would be a stupid argument.

Comment

VJ:

UR: Debate the data, not the journal who published it
            What the data showed was that the signals were transmitted slightly faster in male brains. The authors concluded that is was probably due to a thicker myelin sheath around the nerve axons. As the study didn't try to correlate the transmission velocity with intelligence, the data obviously didn't prove anything about that. However, I'm sure someone is already investigating it
            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
              What the data showed was that the signals were transmitted slightly faster in male brains. The authors concluded that is was probably due to a thicker myelin sheath around the nerve axons.
              That might have something to do with the fact that men were hunters for a significant amount of time in the prehistorical period.

As the study didn't try to correlate the transmission velocity with intelligence, the data obviously didn't prove anything about that. However, I'm sure someone is already investigating it
              We don't even have a clear definition of intelligence
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                We don't even have a clear definition of intelligence
                Wasting thousands of hours becoming a great Civ player must surely count as superior intelligence

Comment

Wasting thousands of hours becoming a great Civ player must surely count as superior intelligence
                  I only play it for fun and have never bothered to figure out various optimal ways to do things

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                    Let me just say that I don't care if men and women are equal or not. All that matters is if they are able to do the things that need to be done.
                    Some things that need to be done, need to be done by women.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Can scientific studies be modded -1: Flamebait? Or, for that matter, can press releases be modded that?

The averages are very close. Since the spread follows the normal distribution for both genders, the overlap is enormous. In fact, it's quite probable that the fastest thinker in the world is female despite this.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Studying the physical qualities of the brain in an attempt to scientifically quantify intelligence is a fool's mission. European scientists in the 19th and early 20th century used this method to 'demonstrate' that the white man was smarter than the negro, the native american and the asian man. What they failed to mention was that they selected skulls to measure with tremendous bias, and the results are pretty meaningless anyway.

Now where'd I put my drugs??? I gotta break up my skull...
                        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                        Drake Tungsten
                        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                        Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I only play it for fun and have never bothered to figure out various optimal ways to do things
                          * points ans laughs *

Girly man!!
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Comment

I spend more time modding than playing. That is what real men do!
                              Blah

Comment

Nah, it isn't that simple
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X