Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plundering China's Heritage

No not the imperialists in the West

BEIJING (AFP) - Road builders demolished a large section of China's World Heritage-listed Great Wall last month in an indication of the perilous state of one of the world's best known landmarks, state media said.

Almost 100 meters (333 feet) of the wall in northern Ningxia autonomous region was levelled in two overnight raids by construction workers who used the material to pave a road, the Ningxia Daily said.

The destroyed area near Zhongwei city was constructed during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) in an region known as "the Great Wall Museum" because of the profusion of rammed earth sections of the wall.

Less than 2,500 kilometers (1,500 miles) remain of the 6,300 kilometer long wall that was first built in the Qin Dynasty (221-206 BC). It was rebuilt in the Ming Dynasty to keep out northern tribes threatening the Chinese heartland.

Zhongwei's public security bureau is investigating the case and has vowed that those responsible will be forced to rebuild what they demolished, the report said.

It is not the first time the wall has been plundered for building materials in Nixgxia. Last year, a 400 metre (1,320 feet) section disappeared with the culprits never found.

Dong Yaohui, vice president of the China Great Wall Academy, said punishments were too lax and needed to be tightened.

He was quoted as saying that several years ago a man who plundered the wall only received an 80,000 yuan (9,666) fine, amounting to less than it would have cost to buy legal construction materials, proving no deterrent.

The Great Wall is under such serious threat from human development across China that the central government last year took the drastic step of seizing control of it from local governments.

Currently, the responsibility of protecting the wall, which stretches across several provinces and municipalities, is down to different local authorities.

The wall was listed on the United Nations (news - web sites)' prestigious World Heritage List in 1987, but far from ensuring its preservation critics argue that it has only succeeded in shrouding it in a "false cloak of security".
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

This is not new under the sun. The Egyptian villagers have stripped the shiny limestone cover off the pyramids. Ancient temples in Greece have been raided during the Turkocracy and revolution to get the led reinforcements out of their pillars, for use in making bullets.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    George Orwell

Comment

There's plenty more Wall.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by axi
        This is not new under the sun. The Egyptian villagers have stripped the shiny limestone cover off the pyramids. Ancient temples in Greece have been raided during the Turkocracy and revolution to get the led reinforcements out of their pillars, for use in making bullets.
        Perhaps a myth, but I'm told a Swedish mercenary commander used the Parthenon for cannon target practice during one of the Turco-Venetian wars.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by axi
          If they cannot get material to build a road and have to strip the wall then that doesn't speak very highly of a modernized China.....

then again it may be a simple matter of laziness or greed.
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
            Perhaps a myth, but I'm told a Swedish mercenary commander used the Parthenon for cannon target practice during one of the Turco-Venetian wars.

Well, Napoleon used the Sphynx for musket target practice. Lousy Corsican.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Dong Yaohui, vice president of the China Great Wall Academy, said punishments were too lax and needed to be tightened.

Not only the workers need to face severe sentences, but the companies they work for must also face serious punishments.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                Originally posted by Last Conformist

Both are myths.

In the case of the Parthenon, the Turks were using it as an ammo dump, and a Venentian shell landed in it. BOOM!
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Lies

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                    [q] [SIZE=1] Originally posted by Last Conformist
                    Lousy shot, anyway...
                    What?

Comment

I for sure thought this would be some thread denouncing the west.

Comment

Zhongwei's public security bureau is investigating the case and has vowed that those responsible will be forced to rebuild what they demolished, the report said.
                        Cool. In the original, dead workers were used as human mortar. I wonder how historically accurate the punishment will be?

Comment

Probably just a newspaper story saying there were punishments, when nothing was done.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Plundering China's Heritage
                            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                            Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber

If they cannot get material to build a road and have to strip the wall then that doesn't speak very highly of a modernized China.....

then again it may be a simple matter of laziness or greed.
                              That's what happened the last time this was in the news; slapped with a fine that was still more cost-effective than just buying the damn materials in the first place.
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                              X