Riging together a way to store data on an audio cassette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Vertical blank interrupt, once every 20 milliseconds. There was also a horizontal blank interrupt at the end of every screen line, which could be used to switch graphics modi and screen colors, quite effectful.
    Vertical blank interrupt, thats the one

The horizonal was used to get extra colours on the screen buy 'kidding' the pooter and get the colours for two graphics modes, different world isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
      The problem with the storage is, that you have to create vibrations (to make the sound for storage). Obviously, if stored directly, the bit sequence 000000... would produce silence on the tape. But if you have a sequence of 111111..., it would also translate into silence, because there are no oscillating bits.
      Are you sure of that? Because you should be getting a flat tone, like striking a what-you-might-call-it fork thing.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
        Anywho the 6502 was sh!it the Z80(a) was the mutts nutts
        Yup. 6809 rocks
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          Are you sure of that? Because you should be getting a flat tone, like striking a what-you-might-call-it fork thing.
          Very sure. You can't get a flat tone like striking a "what-you-might-call-it fork thing" without providing an analogous sinusoidal vibration. Remember, we are talking about ordinary cassette recorders. They aren't able to store digital signals, like on TTL level, only analogous vibrations.

Comment

This thread has got me thinking (no mean feat!), is there a decent 'History of personal computing' type book out there?

I've read one on Apple (whose title eludes me) that was a very interesting.

Comment

Yep!

This is where is was getting my information earlier.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The computer I learned BASIC on. We had five of them in my high school's computer room.

Comment

Nice site Monk, I'll be whiling away a few hours on it in work tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                    The computer I learned BASIC on. We had five of them in my high school's computer room.
                    That's a Model III isn't it? Nice box back then.

Comment

Yep! Two of them even had floppy drives!

The other three relied on Tandy "datacorders", or whatever they called them...

Comment

This is the computer I learned BASIC on (to be fair I'd have to add, that I already knew FORTRAN from my studies).

The difference is, that the model on the picture has 3 floppy drives 5.25", while the machine I worked on had one 8" floppy drive and 2 more 8" drives on an additional device. It had an U880 processor (Z80 clone made in GDR) at 2.5 MHz, 64 KB RAM, the operating system was SCP (a CP/M clone) and it had a 64x16 greenish monochrome text-only monitor.

Comment

Working...
                        X