It's official: Dear Leader has nukes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official: Dear Leader has nukes

Reuters and AP are apparently both reporting the claim.

NKorea Says Made Nuke Weapons, Shuns 6-Way Talks

TOKYO (Reuters) - North Korea said on Thursday that it had manufactured nuclear weapons for its self-defense and was suspending participation in six-way talks on its atomic arms program for an "indefinite period."

Washington has recently stepped up its efforts to revive the six-party talks, sending an envoy to the region last week with letters for Chinese President Hu Jintao, South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun and Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi.

In North Korea's clearest statement yet that it already possesses nuclear arms, the official KCNA news agency quoted a Foreign Ministry spokesman as saying:

"We had already taken the resolute action of pulling out of the NPT (Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty) and have manufactured nukes to cope with the Bush administration's evermore undisguised policy to isolate and stifle the DPRK (North Korea).

"Its nuclear weapons will remain nuclear deterrent for self-defense under any circumstances," the statement added.

U.S. Undersecretary of State John Bolton told reporters earlier in the day that Washington was ready to resume the talks at any time.

But KCNA said Pyongyang saw no reason to take part now.

"We have wanted the six-party talks but we are compelled to suspend our participation in the talks for an indefinite period till we have recognized that there is justification for us to attend the talks and there are ample conditions and atmosphere to expect positive results from the talks," the spokesman was quoted as saying.

"The Bush administration termed the DPRK, its dialogue partner, an outpost of tyranny, putting into the shade its hostile policy, and totally rejected it," the spokesman said.

"This deprived the DPRK of any justification to participate in the six-party talks," the spokesman added.

The United States, China, South Korea, Japan and Russia have held three rounds of talks with North Korea since August 2003 and have been trying to coax Pyongyang back to the negotiations.

Diplomatic analysts had said Pyongyang wanted to see how President Bush's policy toward North Korea shaped up with the start of his second term, and had pointed to late February or early March as the possible timing for a fresh round.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    Aggie's point in Sava's thread may get some indisputable backing out of this.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

For the umpteenth time they've said they have...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

**** has hit the fan!!!!!!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Hold judgement until they provide verifiable proof, preferably not in the form of a mushroom cloud...

Comment

It's been known they have had them for some time.
          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Well, I think that they are pulling out of talks and also the nonproliferation treaty is a big development.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
              It's been known they have had them for some time.
              [TROLL]
              Like Iraq?
              [/TROLL]

Seriously, I know NK likely has the ability to start making nukes, if they haven't already, but they seem to keep announcing it as if it was the first time they've announced it.

Comment

**shrug** North Korea is — or was, if they already have 'em — hellbent on getting nuclear weapons, and it isn't just because of Bush. The bastards, after all, broke the terms of an agreement that went into effect when Clinton was in office.

They're about to find out nukes won't help them any, unless being further isolated is considered helpful in their eyes (you never know with Kim). Unless they start giving the know-how (or, worse, working nukes) to terror groups and whatnot, then the **** could really hit the fan. Would you trust NK to stick to the terms of yet another non-proliferation agreement in the future? Based on past history, I'd be iffy about it at best.

Sucks to be Japan and South Korea right now. Then again, maybe not. After all, both countries knew this was coming for years now.

Now if only America could get a missile defense shield that actually worked.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                  **** has hit the fan!!!!!!

It's Bush's Fault!

Comment

I thought they'd admitted to nukes before, and CIA says 5or 6??

Is this going to be one of those yes we do....no we don't...yes we do....maybe we do...kind of north korean statements?

Even during the Clinton Period?
                    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

From what I remember, they're previously made very strong allusions to having nukes, but this is the first time they've just straight up front said "we've got nukes".
                      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Whoah..didn't read they were pulling out of the talks...

That will (Hopefully) be a major blow to the Sunshine Policy, and that's a good thing because it will result in less reason to be nasty to NK refugees and help them.

Still I wonder what this will mean 'on the ground' given how far the various economic projects have gone...
                        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

North Korea steps to the plate

It is their country but our WORLD I wish no one had Nuclear Weapons, so what should a country do?

anything?

I dont believe we are as strong a world in these matters as we once were. I wonder if the world would go all the way to Armegeddon to prove its point?

What say ye in these matters?

Gramps
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

It is up to SK, Japan, and China. They have to live with the psycho.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                              It is up to SK, Japan, and China. They have to live with the psycho.
                              Actually, when the ball gets dropped we all will..

its a shame

I just wonder if this is tough talk or is this the fight the world has been leading up to for a long time

Nukes..they reach out and touch someone...shame pure shame
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                              X