First Steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Steps

I just got my new Dell PC. It was quite exciting, since I've never owned a PC before, I've only used Apple computers. I should be setting up internet shortly. What should I do now? What should I download?

1) Make sure you have anti-virus installed
    2) Use Mozilla Firefox (http://www.getfirefox.com)
    3) Use a client like Thunderbird for email (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ )
    4) Use Microsoft anti-spyware: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

5) realize your PC is hoplessly bugged, that all your credit card numbers have already been stolen, and that youve already had to restart three times because windows crashed.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I've been quite lucky so far. The setup went fine, no blue screen of death, everything is quite quiet, and I have no dead pixels on my 20" LCD. I have Media Center Edition, which I also love. My specs:

Media Center Edition
        Dual Drive DVD-RWs
        20" LCD 1600x1200
        3.4 GHz P4 Processor
        ATI Radeon X850 XT
        160 GB Hard Drive, 7200 RPM, 8 MB Cache
        5.1 Surround Sound Speakers, with a Subwoofer

Everything looks great.

Comment

You need a Firewall before you connect to the Internet, or your computer will be owned before you know it.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Since you're starting fresh anyway, get a Linux distro.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Yes, I recommend Slackware. You'll love it.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Gentoo
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Yes, I recommend Slackware. You'll love it.
                  Ouch - not even a wink with that?

Comment

Real men roll their own distros.

Comment

4) Use Microsoft anti-spyware: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
                      Why this, rather than Spybot or Adaware? Also, as MSN always tries to download a spyware on my PC when I'm using IE, I'm not sure MS's the most objective vendor.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

1) Make sure you have anti-virus installed
                        2) Use Mozilla Firefox (http://www.getfirefox.com)
                        3) Use a client like Thunderbird for email (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ )

If you run XP Pro does that mean any wireless security concerns you might have are sufficiently addressed?

I just bought a used IBM Thinkpad R31 off of Ebay for $475. It has XP Pro and an 802.11b card and I am ready to find a hotspot to use to get onto the internet...

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                          You need a Firewall before you connect to the Internet, or your computer will be owned before you know it.
                          WinXP has a firewall. Not a great one, but it will protect you long enough to go download Zone Alarm.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000
                            If you run XP Pro does that mean any wireless security concerns you might have are sufficiently addressed?
                            Absolutely not.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Absolutely not.
                              Thanks that helps !
                              Last edited by Brundlefly; February 10, 2005, 11:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X