Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Application Advice Needed: The Follow up Call/Letter

Hey,

I am in the process of applying for a bunch of internships for the summer right now. One of the pieces of advice I have heard from some recruiters is that after sending in a job application, you should follow up with whomever you sent in your information to, so as to show interest in the position. That seems reasonable, of course I could also see it being the case that for somebody busy at work that the last thing they want to do is be bothered by some student seeking a summer position when that student doesn't have anything of importance to say.

So do any of you have any advice as to how to do a follow up? Should I call, or send an e-mail? One suggestion I heard is that since a number of these positions are in the DC area, that I ask if I could interview with them while was back in the area over springbreak, does that like a good idea.

Thanks for any help.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

A follow up email or letter is fine.

Calling them is usually annoying.

Always always always send a hand written thank you note.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Thank you letter = follow up letter

Don't call. Send a letter or e-mail recap your strong points you brought up in the interview, and cover the majar foobars (if any) you committed.

Make it short though, definitely no longer than a page.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Call every hour until they say yes.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I disagree with not calling Call to state you apprecation of the interview send a thank you note and be sure to let the person you have talked to be aware of your interest in the job.
            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I haven't interviewed with them yet, just sent my resume and cover letter.

Comment

bump

Comment

Call to confirm receipt. but keep it short and to the point.
                  "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                  "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

You Americans have some strange cultures...over here I don't think it would go down too well as it may be construed as being overly pushy and intrusive. The employer would want to be left to make their own mind up.
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

There is nothing wrong with following up with a phone call to make sure they received the information you sent.

But as pointed out, keep it short and professional.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I always follow up applications with a short email, trying not to seem too pushy. I usually say something like:

"I just want to confirm that you received my application and see if you had any questions about my qualifications. I look forward to speaking with you regarding position X."

although I generally customize it a bit depending on the position and my relationship (or lack thereof) with the hiring contact.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

It depends on where it is.

I only scored an interview with a software company here because I called them several times a week to let them know how interested I was to work for them.

Comment

The only problem i have with the email is there is no real way for you to be sure the said company has read it the short professional phone call lets you talk to a live person and gives some acknowledgement the person has recieved your information.
                            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              You Americans have some strange cultures...over here I don't think it would go down too well as it may be construed as being overly pushy and intrusive. The employer would want to be left to make their own mind up.
                              Only if you call them to see if your follow up letter was received.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X