Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brave Sir Robin decides NOT to run again

5 Eyewitness News

ST. PAUL - Sen. Mark Dayton has announced that he will not seek re-election.

In an afternoon conference call, the one-term senator said it has been a "tremendous honor" to serve the people of Minnesota for the past four years. However, he said he did not believe he was the best candidate to keep the seat in the hands of the Democrats.

Fundraising was also a factor. Dayton said he could not both do campaign fundraising efforts and act as an effective senator.

In 2000, Sen. Dayton contributed nearly $12 million dollars of his own money to his campaign.

Last month, the Associated Press reported Dayton raised $1.35 million last year, topping his goal of $1 million. However, he finished the year with only $177,000 in the bank.

Dayton's departure from the race could present a major opportunity for Republicans in a state that has become increasingly more friendly to GOP politicians. Among those considering bids were Congressmen Gil Gutknecht and Mark Kennedy, as well as former Senator Rod Grams, who lost to Dayton in 2000.

Watch 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS for updates on this breaking news story.
    Whats missing from this story is the valorous accounts of Dayton's 'Run away! Run away!" stance late last year in DC at the mere hint of terrorist actions prior to the election.

Brave, Brave, Brave, Brave Sir Dayton.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Re: Brave Sir Robin decides NOT to run again

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
    [
    Whats missing from this story is the valorous accounts of Dayton's 'Run away! Run away!" stance late last year in DC at the mere hint of terrorist actions prior to the election.

Brave, Brave, Brave, Brave Sir Dayton.

If Rod Grams gets back in I'm going to puke.

Comment

What "run away, run away" approach are you talking about?

Ane who blows their personal fortune to be come a senator?

What an idiot.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

What an idiot.

ACK!
        Dayton is better than Grams ever was, But I want Wellstone back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

What an idiot.

ACK!
          This One .

He was the only Congressman/Senator to bravely show his hindquarters. There were even better accounts of his 'bravery' but this is the gist of the situation from MSM.

D.C. Mayor Pans Terror-fied Sen.

WASHINGTON, Oct. 13, 2004

Sen. Closes Office

Dayton said he could not give details of the classified intelligence report, which he said Frist, a Tennessee Republican, presented to senators at a briefing two weeks ago.

(CBS/AP) Washington Mayor Tony Williams is the latest official to question a Minnesota senator's reasons for closing his Capitol Hill office.

Democratic Sen. Mark Dayton closed his Washington office Tuesday because a top-secret intelligence report made him fear for his staff's safety. Federal law enforcement officials insisted there is no new intelligence indicating the Capitol complex is a target.

Williams said he's trying to figure out what frequency the senator is on. The mayor also noted that Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Delegate Eleanor Holmes and others all say there's nothing new to prompt increased concern.

Williams said the region's law enforcement agencies are doing all they can to keep the region safe. Holmes said lawmakers have an obligation to avoid creating an atmosphere of fear.

Dayton said his office will be closed while Congress is in recess through Election Day, with his staff working out of his Minnesota office and in Senate space off Capitol Hill.

"I take this step out of extreme, but necessary, precaution to protect the lives and safety of my Senate staff and my Minnesota constituents, who might otherwise be visiting my Senate office in the next three weeks," said Dayton, whose office in the Russell Senate Office Building is across the street from the Capitol.

Dayton said he could not give details of the classified intelligence report, which he said Frist, a Tennessee Republican, presented to senators at a briefing two weeks ago.

Frist told reporters that he didn't know of any other senators who had closed their Capitol Hill offices.

"There has been no new information over the last five to six weeks," he said, referring to intelligence.

But a congressional official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Frist read a threat assessment aloud to senators at the briefing two weeks ago that has since been updated.

The official said the updated threat assessment by all 15 U.S. intelligence agencies was circulated to senators late last week was less alarmist.

Brian Roehrkasse, a Homeland Security Department spokesman, said the department had no intelligence indicating al Qaeda intends to target any specific U.S. locations.

FBI officials said while there still was concern al Qaeda wants to disrupt the upcoming election, there was no new information indicating the Capitol or any other location was a target.

Added Capitol police spokesman Michael Lauer: "There's been no specific threats against the Capitol complex. We continue to be on guard now, all the way up to the election and all the way through the inauguration."

Nonetheless, Dayton said he would advise people from his home state to avoid Capitol Hill until after the Nov. 2 election.

"I would not bring my two sons to the Capitol between now and the election," he added.

Some Republican senators suggested Dayton overreacted.

The chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, Virginia Republican John Warner, said in a statement that nothing in recent intelligence briefings would prompt him to close his office.

"Even when the Senate is out of session, we have a job to do," Warner said. "We can't let non-imminent threats prevent us from doing our work."

Sen. Norm Coleman, a Republican from Minnesota, is not closing his office. His chief of staff, Erich Mische, said Coleman was concerned about "sending the message to terrorists that you're fleeing the city. You can't let them feel as though they scared you out of your own government."
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
            X