What The Hell!! No ME Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What The Hell!! No ME Thread!

What has happened to Poly!? A Cease-fire is declared between Palestinians and Israelis, and nary a thread?

If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Re: What The Hell!! No ME Thread!

Originally posted by GePap
    What has happened to Poly!? A Cease-fire is declared between Palestinians and Israelis, and nary a thread?

I was thinking about it, but already had other threads up. And the news was starting to waver.

So far each side is responding to the others gestures with additional gestures of its own - hopefully these will lead to real improvements in life for both peoples. Theres still a long way to go to a final agreement, but the improving atmosphere is quite hopeful.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

What The Hell!! No ME Thread!
      Egotistical, aren't we?

Anyway, it's encouraging, but it's only a start. Time will tell how well things will proceed. But encouraging.
      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

We're eagerly waiting for someone to be killed first. Then we will start around 10-12 threads about the evil Jews/Palestinians violating the cease-fire and how it's all Bush's fault
        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I'm Israel-Palestined out. Besides what makes this cease fire different from the last 10? There's some hope because Arafat is dead but not much since Arab terrorist networks won't stop.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            I'm Israel-Palestined out. Besides what makes this cease fire different from the last 10? There's some hope because Arafat is dead

Er, understatement of the decade? Thats precisely whats different. AFAICT whats happening now is just what Abbas intended when he first became PM in 2003, before Arafat squeleched him. Its not just Abbas - hes got a decent Interior Minister in place, IIUC, Dahlan is playing a big role, and theres a cleaner Finance Minister. The security forces are being reformed. These are the changes everyone knew were needed, but that Arafat stopped.

And Pal security forces are patroling the borders of Gaza, and it SEEMS so far, are actually trying to stop attacks on Israel. This is exactly what Israel has said was necessary to show that peace is possible. And so far Israel has responded as theyve always said they would. And even IF Sharon is insincere, the Israeli public is watching, is quite aware of whats going on. The Pals are doing what theyre supposed to more than at any time since 1996 - and, I think, more than they did then. There is more reason to think that peace is really possible than at any time since Oslo.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

While always doubtful of these types of things (due to previous experiences) it is encouraging to see that Hamas and Isl Jihad were part of the agreement. But I'll wait and see before I get too hopefull.

Let's just hope this isn't another case of "we needed a little time to reload"
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This is looking good now, since the Palestenian security forces indeed seem to be trying to prevent attacks on Israel and shelling of Israeli settlements. Arafat was looked at as an icon, a personification of the fight against Israel, while Abbas seems more reasonable than that. He doesn't have a strong position yet and he does need support from Hamas and similar organizations, but after all, Hamas doesn't like it when the IDF attacks them either, and so they must also be happy about a ceasefire.

There is no doubt that the Israeli Palestenian relations will remain very tense, but at least there is now hope of terror acts stopping for a considerable amount of time. And Abbas, just as predicted, is trying to see what diplomacy can provide before he takes a violent and noncomittal state, which he hopefully won't. The good part is that Sharon is actually satisfied.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                  While always doubtful of these types of things (due to previous experiences) it is encouraging to see that Hamas and Isl Jihad were part of the agreement.

Hamas: 'We are not bound by ceasefire'
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

We all knew the terror organizations would try to weazel out of the cease fire. They claimed they'd follow the will of the Palestinian people and the recent election pretty much showed what the Palestinian people wanted (moderate government and peace) yet here is Hamas saying they'd ignore the cease fire they agreed to.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's too bad, it had been early reported that they had been involved in the discussions and agreed. Wishful reporting I guess.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's kinda like the boy who cried wolf. We keep hearing about a peace breakthrough but it ends up in violence.

So, let's wait and see what happens before declaring global peace.

Hopefully, both sides will move towards genuine peace this time.
                        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I wouldnt trust Hamas if they DID participate. Their absence is no great loss, it just means a different strategy. Its movement toward peace between PA/Fatah and Israel thats important. Ultimately Hamas will have to be dealt with, possibly by Pal security forces.

Comment

As the terrorists don't work for the Palestinian administration, I doubt all of them will agree to stop attacking. And as soon as something bad happens, Israel will blame the Palestinian administration, then make revenge raids with a lot of colateral damage and we are back where we started.
                            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                              As the terrorists don't work for the Palestinian administration, I doubt all of them will agree to stop attacking. And as soon as something bad happens, Israel will blame the Palestinian administration, then make revenge raids with a lot of colateral damage and we are back where we started.
                              Not as long as the PA is making a real effort, which it has under Abbas so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X