I Am Curious: Ballista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Am Curious: Ballista

As I was rereading a book entitled 'The Roman War Machine' the other day (and prompted again by an excellent series on BBC 2 called 'What the Romans Did For Us) it occurred to me that it used to be a matter of faith, or at least taken for granted, that Europe did not see a crossbow until the early Middle Ages, with it frequently being attributed to Arab transmission.

Now having looked at a demonstration of a ballista, and the holes left from ballista bolts and an arrowhead lodged in skeletal remains of Celts found at Maiden (Mai Dun) Castle in Dorset, I wondered why people would assume that the ever practical Romans hadn't used a smaller version of a ballista?

After all, these were the people who changed the way their armour was formed when confronted with the Dacian sword/pick which inflicted such horrendous wounds when the Romans first besieged Dacian strongholds, and whose army was run on the fox, rather than hedgehog, approach to tactics.

Any of the 'Poly Roman enthusiasts shed some light on this?
    Last edited by molly bloom; February 8, 2005, 07:43.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

What the hell is a ballista...is this just one them fashion items and you just went and added -ista on it all...
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Ballista's a small roman crossbow like catapult.

Actually invented by the greeks, before MarkG bans me.

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Ballista's a small roman crossbow like catapult.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Ah. I only read selected threads.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Yeah, but didn't they have them so they were effectively automatic though so they did have a certain advantage in terms of reload and fire...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

They already had a big advantage.
              Their size and strength combined with their base meant,
              that you could throw arrows and stones at a much larger range and with a greater accuracy than you could with a bow (and still being able to pierce shield with it at the end of the fligth)

Here´s a nice site with a Palintona,
              which probably is more of the original size the romans used in sieges

Last edited by Proteus_MST; February 8, 2005, 13:21.
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Hail Rome!

Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

This is the best thread title I've read in a while. It sounds like a Chris Morris parody of Scandobonk cinema.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Re: I Am Curious: Ballista

Originally posted by molly bloom
                    Any of the 'Poly Roman enthusiasts shed some light on this?
                    I remember something in the Rome: Total War comments about the difference between X-bow and balista.
                    And because I could not copy-paste their comments, I made a small google search:

Alla hotell i Nice. Bästa urvalet av premium hotell i Nice med recensioner och kartor. Boka i förväg och spara.

The large, carriage or post-mounted crossbow had two distinct forms, even in ancient times. One configuration, arbalète à tour, was of a single bow, aligned horizontally; its energy was from tension (as with the normal hand-bow), due to the spanning of the wood or steel bow. The second configuration, baliste [ballista], was two horizontally-aligned arms, each under torsion when the common chord at the far ends was spanned.

IIRC the bow of the x-bow need to be composite.
                    (and I don't know when the composite bow was discovered).
                    The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

From http://xenophongroup.com/montjoie/ngp_arty.htm
                      Attached Files
                      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

And
                        Attached Files

Comment

Re: Re: I Am Curious: Ballista

Originally posted by Dry

I remember something in the Rome: Total War comments about the difference between X-bow and balista.
                          And because I could not copy-paste their comments, I made a small google search:

Alla hotell i Nice. Bästa urvalet av premium hotell i Nice med recensioner och kartor. Boka i förväg och spara.

The large, carriage or post-mounted crossbow had two distinct forms, even in ancient times. One configuration, arbalète à tour, was of a single bow, aligned horizontally; its energy was from tension (as with the normal hand-bow), due to the spanning of the wood or steel bow. The second configuration, baliste [ballista], was two horizontally-aligned arms, each under torsion when the common chord at the far ends was spanned.

IIRC the bow of the x-bow need to be composite.
                          (and I don't know when the composite bow was discovered).
                          Many thanks. I believe that the steppe peoples and Parthians had composite bows, but not crossbows.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                          X